Fertilizer license

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by JayB79, Apr 7, 2006.

1. JayB79

JayB79 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me if a 3A (turfgrass) license covers residential fertilizer and pesticide applications in Michigan? I got my license to spray chemicals on the golf course my family owned. I started my lawn care business last year and just wanted to make sure I was legal in that department. Thanks
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

3A covers turf no matter what. the real Question is as far as the core, are you Qualified as a commercial or private applicator? also, you need to have a business license before you can apply as your own business.
    that has special requirements that you may or may not be able to meet.
    one other thing, for managing a lawn you really should have 3A, 3B & 6 to cover most areas you will end up dealing with. another very desirable class is 7A (General pest) I need to get this one added to my services yet, Maybe next year.
    You can read up on all this at these sites:
  3. JayB79

JayB79 LawnSite Member

Thanks Steve for the info
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, your certification, whether it be as a tech or aan applicator is NOT the same as the licence for the commercial business itself.

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

How Does One Get There Fertilizer Lic.???
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You get your certifications, then work for someone for two years (minimum) Or, you can work for 1 year if you have a bachelor degree in turf management, horticulture, or some related field. After that, it is a matter of the proper paperwork,...a proof of experience form, insurance, and application for licensing.