Fertilizer License

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by 4-Seasons, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Probably many have already asked this question, but do you need a license to just put plan fertilizer down? In NJ.

2. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering the same thing but for alabama....

3. Surfdunn

Surfdunn LawnSite Member

4. Surfdunn

Surfdunn LawnSite Member

5. Surfdunn

Surfdunn LawnSite Member

If its your lawn I believe its fine as long as its something from say lowes or Home depo. If you were to treat someone elses lawn besides yours, then it becomes illegal. And it expensive if they catch you.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Check with your respective Depts of Agriculture for licensing info. Hopefully you have no lic. requirement for fert-for-fee OR you can just pay for a license SEPARATE from the pesticide testing and licensing process.

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

You can put straight fert but absolutely no pestecides weed killer,fungicide,pre m nothing but lime and straight fert no matter where it is bought. Trust me the DEP guys run around like real police showing their badges andsearching your vehicle "no search warrant neccesarry if they believe you have pest" so be very careful doing other peoples lawns with no license in NJ

8. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

in theory sure, what really happens, NOT. The DEP cannot do anything. Prove you do not have a "license. Prove you applied anything...

Most times, the manpower is not that or not gonna happen. You should have one..

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Careful there, hot rod. The situation is different in every state. Advice like that could bring well over $10,000 in fines in NY if one gets caught. Granted, the chances of getting caught are small.... but one guy here just got bagged for a whoping $40,000! They get you when your spreaders are out... and see you applying. With advice like yours, some people could be put out of business, and put into the poor house.

10. Surfdunn

Surfdunn LawnSite Member

yea and those bastards will follow you to acouple lawns before they confront you. Last year it happened to by boss and he got slammed for like 5 lawns and each were $2,500 a piece I believe