fertilizer licnes

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by t j lawn care, Oct 14, 2003.

1. t j lawn care

t j lawn care LawnSite Member

In Illinois , do you need a license to spread simple lawn fertilizer? I am looking to start marketing fertilizer service to my current lawn customers, do I need a license for this?

Thanks

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

not for sure in ILL for plain fert. But what are you going to do when they complain of broadleaves, want pre-emergence, or grub control? Are you going to tell them they have to call another company for this. I am sure they will switch to someone who does it all. So why not get your license and do it right from the start. Hope this gets the gears turning in your head for more profit.

3. t j lawn care

but who do I contact to get a license?

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Contact your local extension agency and they will set you up with all your materials and who to contact.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi TJ Lawn Care,

The Illinois Department of Public Health certifies and licenses individuals applying pesticides in and on man-made structures for purposes including, but not limited to, bird control, rodent control, wood treatment and insect control.

Pre-registration is required for all clinics. A $30 registration fee covers one- or two-day clinics. The annual fee for a commercial applicator license is $45; $30 for a commercial operator license. Licenses are valid for three years, but must be renewed annually prior to March 1.

Questions concerning pre-registration, study materials, clinic and testing dates should be directed to the Cooperative Extension Service at 800-644-2123 (outside Champaign-Urbana) or 217-244-2123, or http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/~pse/training/clinics.html.

For questions about licensing and testing, contact the Illinois Department of Agriculture at
    800-641-3934 or 217-785-2427 (voice and TDD).

More Info. http://ace.orst.edu/info/npic/state1.htm

6. t j lawn care

thanks for the information

7. deason

deason LawnSite Member

. But what are you going to do when they complain of broadleaves, want pre-emergence, or grub control? Are you going to tell them they have to call another company for this. I am sure they will switch to someone who does it all.

TJ lawn, this is the same type of thinking that made me decide to take my test this coming January. I have too many customers that ask questions about, and want FULL SERVICE.

Selling this to exsisting customers will be a plus. Also, you can adveritise on both (cutting and weed control / fertilization) and gain a niche in the market. I was surprised when I started offering seeding and aeration on the response I got. I only hope when I start with the spray side, I get the same results (and can handle the xtra business) :D

8. deason

deason LawnSite Member

. But what are you going to do when they complain of broadleaves, want pre-emergence, or grub control? Are you going to tell them they have to call another company for this. I am sure they will switch to someone who does it all.

TJ lawn, this is the same type of thinking that made me decide to take my test this coming January. I have too many customers that ask questions about, and want FULL SERVICE.

Selling this to exsisting customers will be a plus. Also, you can adveritise on both (cutting and weed control / fertilization) and gain a niche in the market. I was surprised when I started offering seeding and aeration on the response I got. I only hope when I start with the spray side, I get the same results (and can handle the xtra business) :D

9. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

check with your local U of I Extension office or U of I in Champaign
    and the testing is in Jan. at champaign and Springfield

10. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

also $45.00 fee and make sure u get the right books (5 total)
    ornamentals addendum
    General standards manual and wookbook
    turfgrass and ornamentals and turf workbook
    total cost $17.00