1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer / Lime harmful to dogs/cats?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Feb 21, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just recently put a newsletter service guide saying, I'll be putting down fertilizer and lime in the upcoming week.. Several people have emailed the strata council and are freaking out, cause I said keep your dogs/cats inside for a few days while we fertilize/lime.

Do you guys think fertilizer/lime will be harmful to dogs/cats, I would imagine so right? I told them its not a pesticide and not worry but, just keep your pets inside for about 2-3 days as the rain washes it into the lawns.

:help: What you guys think?

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

how do you know it needs lime? did you get a soil test?? :dizzy:
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think you just caused yourself a lot of un-needed problems. No, they will not harm animals. You just gave the liberal canadians something to fight you over.
  4. alpine692003

I didnt think so, but I just put a newsletter out saying I will be fertilizing and liming for the townhouse complex.

Whats the big deal with that?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong, you just opened up a can of worms with the tree huggers.
  6. alpine692003

LOL .. :realmad:

I always tell the commercial sites ahead of time, what I will be doing and what I'm putting down so they dont get any surprises, ya know what I mean?

Do you guys put down pre emergents in the flowerbeds without telling your clients that you are going to be putting it down? would you spray lawn weeds with roundup without telling them you are spraying roundup? I wouldn't think so, I think you guys would tell them we are going to be putting down roundup/pre-em on this day, certain specifications.. I thought this was the correct way? :(

Next time I'll just put down fertilizer/lime/pre emergents and not say anything..

7. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Fertilizer and lime are not anything like pre-em. Pre emergents are herbicides requiring posting and notice. Fert and lime are ok without posting. They aren't harmful to pets in this capacity. You want at least two weeks and some rain after lime before you fertilize. While soil tests are ideal, our extremely wet climate dictates that we could lime twice a year heavily and still not get the correct ph.

8. alpine692003

Thanks Scott,

I just wanted to post to the strata that I will be fertilizing and liming, I guess I wont be putting a newsletter next time saying I will be fert/liming.
  9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

It's crap like this that is annoying about this site sometimes. That was not the question. The ? was about fert/lime and dogs/cats.
    Does every ? have to be answered with "are you licensed, insured, do a search" Answer the actual ? or chat up ah.

So, to answer the actual ?, lime and fert won't hurt dogs and cats. Don't feed it to them and they'll be fine. Lime is crushed rock.
  10. alpine692003

No kidding, I'm use to this kinda bs from lawnsite.com anyways, I only expected a few answers from certain people..