fertilizer (milorganite)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, May 20, 2003.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me the advantages of using milorganite over other fertilizers. I understand the fact that it will not burn but other fertilizers seem to offer more phosphorus and potash for about the same cost. If you get more with general purpose fertilizers, what is the "plus side" with milorganite? Also, if I do put down milorganite now, can I aply a weed and feed is a few days or am I getting a nitrogen overload?

2. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I use Milorganite at the church where I'm the grounds director. Milorganite is a slow release fertilizer and also contains iron which helps to green up the lawn, too.

Depending what type of weed and feed you will be using, I'd suggest just applying a spray to kill the weeds you have and then apply the Milorganite. Better yet, do a soil test to find out what your soil and your turf need.

That said, I put a quick release fertilizer down, Chemlawn came to spray, and last week I applied Milorganite. The turf is awesome and the Milorganite hasn't really kicked in yet.

You're right about Milorganite. It won't burn the lawn. It does take a considerable amount of Milorganite to work properly. Use the directions on the package as your guide.

Perhaps some more info on your turf would be helpful to determine the best fertilizer and/or weed control you'll need.

3. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be happy to reseed that lawn for you when you get done burning it up ;)

4. Chris Wagner

Our turf is never burned out. Stop by if you'd like. I'd love to show you our quality.

8 years experience working the same grounds... never had to redo anything.

Thanks for the offer.

5. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

What was the time spread of those 3 apps? Bet you've got some nice thatch build up if that is normal type ferting.

6. Chris Wagner

Virtually no thatch.

I'm sorry you don't like our practices. What works for some might not work for others.

picture 007.jpg

7. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

you got tru-green spraying and ferting this church and you fert and spray it too?? better be careful, if your smart youll get another company to spray it so you dont have too. looks good though.what exact mix of fert did you put on it?

8. Chris Wagner

ChemLawn isn't my choice. I'd do the whole thing, but the pastor prefers to have them do it.

Anyway, my feeling is that the ChemLawn's applications are so watered down, that they aren't effective in the least.

A 25-5-10 quick release was applied April 15. Milorganite was applied around May 15. ChemLawn showed up somewhere in the middle.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't recommend this practice for most homeowners or if you aren't planning on intesely managing your turf like we do.

9. Chris Wagner

Another pic...

picture 004.jpg

10. Chris Wagner

Another

picture 008.jpg