1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer overlap

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by adamc6, Apr 21, 2003.

1. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

I use a broadcast spreader and never know how much to overlap the fertilizer. i am afraid to i will burn the grass. if any of you have some tips on doing this i would appreciate it. thanks guys

2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

If you post this in the Fertilizer forum you would get a quicker response.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a simple method to get excellent coverage.

Break up each job into measurable areas. Measure them and keep a record of it ( a little map).

To apply 1 pound of nitrogen per 1,000 SF which is the norm (or used to be) you need to figure out how many pounds of N are in your bag. If the bag is 25-3-3, you have 25% nitrogen by weight. If the bag weighs 20 pounds it has 5 pounds of nitrogen in it. To fert an area of 3,000 SF you need 3 pounds or 2/3 of the bag. Put 2/3 of the bag into the spreader. Instead of relying on the spreader setting, go lighter in order to go in at least 2 directions. Keep an eye on the hopper and make sure that you run it out about evenly over the entire area.

It sounds complicated, but is very easy and extremely accurate. The important thing is to keep records of the SF of those areas.
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The best way is to spread half rate and overlap back to your wheel marks. This will eliminate all "fert" striping and guessing how far to overlap.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would also have to say, that it depends on what kind of spreader you have. Lesco, for instance does NOT spread evenly on bot sides. It spreads like in a 11 to 2:00 or 2:30 pattern. Therefore, rather than going in a back and forth pattern like the big comanies that don't know what they're doing, and getting uneven coverage, and sometimes evn getting stripes, you go in a counter-clockwise pattern around the areas, spreading the granules so they just hit the center of the last tracks.;)