Fertilizer ?-?-? Ph Level 7

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by 4-Seasons, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Question. Can someone help me out with the numbers for fertilizer. If my lawns PH Level is 7 what do i need to put down.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Most fertilizers won't affect your pH. A pH of 7.0 is OK for turf, but it is creeping towards the high side. What type of turf is it? Mixed rye, fescue, blue? Did you put down a winterizing fert app? pH has little to do with selecting a spring fert app formulation. Do you know if the soil needs any P or K?

Taking a shot in the dark, anything from a 10 to 20 N, 0 to 4 P, and 3 to 10 K should be fine. I'd look for something that has a little iron in it too. Make sure the N is slow release, the higher the N number, the more slow release.

I would suggest a soil test, with recommended amendments from your local co-op.

3. 4-Seasons

from NJ

Not sure what kind of grass, but the ph tester i have also has fertilizer level on it and it says low fertilizer in grass. I did not put down any previous fert. I was going to buy a 10-10-10. The only thing im afraid of is to burn or ruin the grass. I have seen some lawns burned up.

4. Whitey4

I have never heard of a pH meter with a "fertilizer" mode... how could it possibly detect nitrogen levels? Call me skeptical. As a rule, no spring time application of fert will burn the turf if it is applied at recommended rates, even a 35-x-x. During the summer, more caution should be excersized.

For my new customers, I am putting down 3/4lb of N this spring, and will cut the N back during my summer apps to 1/4lb. Granular appled at tthese rates won't burn. For repeat customers that got a winterizing app last fall, I only use a 1/4lb of N in the spring app.

PS: in drought conditions on turf that is not irrigated, burn becomes more possible.... just a caveat

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

4 seasons

10 pounds of 90% sulfur per thousand Sq Ft will lower pH 1 point in 30 days. But if you buy fertilizer from a knowledgeable supplier they can and will sell you acid forming fertilizer that will help keep you pH lower.

About 5 years ago several of us wrote tons of technical information about Fertilizer here on LS. Do a search under screen names Groundskper, Tremor, Timsturf, and myself to find those posts.

Whitey

There are some cheap meters on the market that read Electric Conductivity and call it a Fertilizer meter. What it reads is salt content and Fertilizer is a salt.

6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Polymer/sulfur coated ammonium sulfate, sulfate of potash

7. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

You NY's are so squirrely :dancing:

[​IMG]

8. Whitey4

ROFLMAO! That isn't a pH meter! Sure, it will measure the pH of your pool water, but not soil! :laugh: Good Lord, the people out there doing apps... it's scary.:nono::waving:

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey

Do you even know what pH is, or how it is measured??? That meter is as good as the person using it. No it is not as actuate as the ones used in Labs. My $ 150 Hanna multimeter is not much better.

10. 4-Seasons

from NJ

Yes that is the one i have. I knew i wasnt going crazy when i said it had a fertilizer tester on it.