Fertilizer plant explosion Texas

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dawg, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

That's bad for sure.

That reminds me of a training video we watched when I worked for the FD. It was an explosion at Pepcon, a rocket fuel plant in Nevada.

The Incident Commander for that fire should lose his job for not having that area completely evacuated for at least a 3-5 mile radius. No non-trained personnel had any business being a mere 900 yds from that plant when it was determined that the fire was getting out of control.

They must have had Ammonia Nitrate in that plant. The FD should have known that from pre-fire plans/inspections.

If I had anything to say about it, whoever was in charge of that scene would be hung out to dry...

3. fbfd1610

fbfd1610 LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Twenty four hour post incident...not really the time to blame someone when there are Line of duty deaths involved. They are still recovering the "guy in charge". Evacuation was in progress...next door at the playground and apartments. Check the time frame from on scene time to explosion. Not much time for some volunteers to arrive, assess the situation, and decide their actions. For a volunteer department they were actually on scene pretty quick and doing what they could with what they had. I think we should show a little respect to fallen brothers first then figure out what happened.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I feel terrible for the families and especially for the VFD families. If their VFD is like ours, I know they would not have the proper equipment and training for such an event. By the photos I have seen there really is not much left of the fert plant and the volunteers that were there. These pics of the nearby apartment complex shows how stout the blast was.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/photos/20130418-massive-fertilizer-plant-explosion-injures-dozens-in-west-near-waco.ece?ssimg=975153#ssTop974973

5. ted putnam

No disrespect for fallen brothers was intended. And, I realize VFD's do what they can with what they have, including the leadership. My heart and prayers go out to all those injured or killed

It just sickens me to see something like that when life endangerment might have been avoided.

I've been to busy to check details but that had to have been a BLEVE from a large containment vessel. You don't get single large explosions from small containers generally. They had to have known that was there.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Good plan, glad you can be such a great KIC (keyboard incident commander) when you don't have the slightest clue what was occurring at the time of the explosion.

There are reports of evacuations in progress. NOTHING more than that.

Way to throw the IC under the bus and give your $.02, but next time keep it to yourself until more is known. And I'm guessing the IC did lose his job, attempting to save others.

3-5 miles? Where did you pull that number from? I've never seen that evacuation distance recommended, even for a BLEVE.

Keep your trap shut.

Well said and thank you.

More wisdom from an expert. First you state they should have known there was ammonium nitrate present, now you state it MUST have been BLEVE. Apparently when you were in fire school they didn't show you what happened in Texas City when the ship loaded with ammonium nitrate exploded. Good grief man, make up your mind or keep it to yourself. You're worse than the media with your conjecture and speculations. Not to mention demanding someone's job who is dead because he was doing his job. I'm sure the captain from Dallas who was killed in this incident was standing around with the IC admiring the pretty flames, not advising the chief on what should be done.

Show some respect for the brothers who lost their lives. 11 as of now, since you can't keep up on it.

And please, keep your uninformed and uneducated mouth shut.

7. ted putnam

Uninformed, yes...Uneducated...no.

You are correct, I should not have commented on an incident I was lacking information on.

Again, My heart and prayers go out to those who lost their lives and their families. Those in the line of duty as well as any civilians.

Thanks for the "wake up" call "Chief."

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow that was one heck of a blast for sure. Unbelievable.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Good grief, listening to the dispatch for that incident, what a mess. Multiple structure fires. Multiple structures damaged that needed to be searched. Another anhydrous tank on fire in danger of BLEVE.

Some of the pics show the RR track next to the plant, one side was ripped out and basically touching the other side.

If you want to listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuV2E6LRXd0

10. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I also work for my city fire department and a few years ago had a huge fertilizer fire. (rhoyster clark) now owned by agrium Look it up burnt for days. To make that statement on something you know nothing about shows some true colors.