1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dnacker, Feb 4, 2006.

1. dnacker

dnacker LawnSite Member

To anyone in the fertilizing business, please answer this question. I received a letter from a lawncare company yesterday. It said that if you signed up for 5 applications they would aerate for free in fall. I had them give me an estimate. My lawn is a little over 7,000 sq ft, and their fertilizing price for my yard came to $45 per app. Is it customary for businesses like this to put down 1/2 the recommended rate to cut costs. I base my prices on the recommended rate per 1000 sq ft. If you send your crews out aerating all day at no charge, you have to be losing a fortune, taking into account summer gas prices, labor, truck maint and all the other costs. They do a lot of business in the area and have been around for a while. How do you compete with that??
  2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

you don't, let them have the customers. The next season the customer will hate TG and come looking for a REAL fertilization company.