1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer pricing

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by sandrat, May 30, 2006.

1. sandrat

sandrat LawnSite Member

I have purchased an electric broadcast spreader that mounts on the front of my ztr. I have read a lot of threads about pricing, but I am still not sure where to start........I want to offer "competive" quotes and will liqui-green will probably be my main competitor........I was thinking as follows:

Three bags of fertilizer per acre (15,000 sq ft bags)....I would use $25 per bag as cost (can get them for less). I could do an acre in less than an hour from pull-up to pull-out..............So I was thinking of $150 per acre......So what do you guys and gals think........???????
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you just fertilizing or are you going to get licensed to apply control products?

$3.44 for straight fert is a bit low IMO
  3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I run a JRCO on an eXmark ZTR for my granular apps on larger properties.

First of all, your fert price is high for your cost.

Second, I can knock out an acre with arrival, unloading the spreader, putting in the fert, applying, loading back up, and leaving in about 15 min.

We charge anywhere from 4.00 to 6.00 per 1k square feet, depending on amount of turf, type of turf, and type/amount of product we are using.

42K square feet at the usual rate of 4 per 1K is 168.00 per acre. Lets say I am putting out 2 lbs of product for each 1k that app, then I'd be putting out around 85 lbs of product on that acre. My cost on that is around 30 bucks.

And those that think the money in this business can keep on running those trimmers all day every day. I've got some mowing accounts because I like to mow.....but I can't imagine mowing 50+ accounts. I've got around 20 and that's all I want. Chems is where it is at.
  4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think your prices are out of line for large commercial work....Just your amount of time to do an acre and what are you putting down at 2 lbs per K?

I run a z spray and pg's and don't average an acre in 15 minutes include load and unload time. And almost every product I use goes down in the 4 lb per K range.
  5. kbrashears

Seriously, one acre with my spreader putting out granular.

2lbs was just a general number.

The last round of fert I put out was high in N content (32) and I was putting it out at a rate of 2.25lbs of product per 1K to get to about .7lbs of N per 1K. I'll go up on my Bermuda and Zoysia grasses (I haven't hit them with fert yet, just broadleaf herb and granular insecticide) N amounts later this month, and I'll stay about the same for my few Fescue yards.
  6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

That is really moving. And I was not thinking about the high N ferts that cover more sq footage.
  7. kbrashears

Not really moving that fast. I can put out the fert on a pretty damn good 12 foot pattern moving at 5 mph.

Last year we pushed everything as we were getting started (my business partner is a five star golf course supt.) and I just got worn out in the acre+ zoysia yards we treat. We backpacked and pushed twenty yards last year, plus I mowed another 15 and taught school full time. I thought I'd be lucky to do ten yards per day.

I did 25 one day a couple of weeks back, and we aren't talking about the little 5K lawns. We're talking 1/2 to three acre lawns. We have two that are smaller than 10k.

We bought the right equipment and our productivity level is up to 23 mowing accounts and around 42 chem. accounts....and I don't work as much as I did.

Now all I have to do is double my chem. accounts and I'm full time.