Fertilizer Program HELP ME

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Nov 5, 2004.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. Im triing to come up with some programs for next year as i will have my MDA Lic in April. Will somone from the MD area help me with this or recommend someone who will.

I would buy my products from lesco in millersville or in upper marlboro. the 10-10-10 parts are just a guide. fill in with what you believe i should use.

Thanks Alot.

Jason Rohrbaugh
    Crew Cut Enterprises

2. Early Summer Application May 10-10-10
    3. Late Summer Application July 10-10-10
    4. Fall Application September 10-10-10

Premium Fertilizer Program
    6 Applications
    Spring 1 pre-emergence with Fertilizer Feb 128-5-12
    Spring 2 March – April 10-10-10
    Mid Summer Application June 10-10-10
    Late Summer Application July 10-10-10
    Fall Application September 10-10-10
    Winter Application November 10-10-10

No Program Available? We Can Custom Build a Fertilizer Program for You. Organic Program. No Problem. Just Ask

Fertilizer Pricing
    1. 0-5000 Sq foot = $42.00 Minimum Plus $10.00 per 1000 square feet

Aeration Program
    1. 0-5000 Sq foot = $100.00 Minimum Plus $10.00 Per 1000 Square Feet .01 sq ft

Slice Seeding

Over Seeding

2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Ok -- Good timing you have the winter to really come up with a good program.

You have two choices. One -- just use the standard Lesco program. Charge bare minimum and just try to get the grass to grow.

Or..... set yourself apart by really researching a good program. Commit yourself to growing the BEST grass in town. It will require a fair amount of studying and work to stay up woith latest research.

Which direction do you think you are leaning -- I can give you a basic Lesco program for cool season grass in ZOne 5/6 or can help guide you in designing your own custom program.

3. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I would love the Basic Lesco Program. I was looking on their web site and could not locate it.

I figured the winter time would make a great time to come up with a plan and in feb ill start marketing it.

Also I will start with the basic program but would love to learn and design my own program, but doesnt that require taking soil plugs and then anaylzing it to decied which route to go from there.

Thanks Jason

4. Hamons

1. MARCH------ Dimension .1% 19-0-6 (.79 lb. N/1000ft2)
    2. MAY -------- 21-3-21 (.75 lb. N/1000ft2)
    3. JUNE --------24-5-11 (.84 lb. N/1000ft2)
    4. SEPTEMBER - 21-3-21 (1 lb. N/1000ft2)
    5. NOVEMBER ---32-3-8 (1lb. N/1000ft2)

Now -- this program has a lot of problems. It was what I got from the LEsco dealer the first time I went and talked to them a couple years ago. What problems do you see with it? YOur comments will help start a discussion that we can all learn from.

You will need a design basic system that you will then adjust to each individual lawn based on soil tests.

5. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

Jeff, I'm not sure what zone that particular program is designed for. However, I would not recomend it in zone 7 for fine fescue.

1. Excessive N applications in the summer months (unless irrigated)
    2. No lime mentioned anywhere (assuming soil tests indicate the need)
    3. I'd prefer to see some iron in the winter and summer apps
    4. Fall apps ignore the need for root development. In fact, the entire program is all N application without regard for K & P apps
    5. An earlier spring app of dimension with a follow up app would be appropriate

I could go on.....but, what works for one may not work for another!

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Are we looking at the same program, that looks like a ton of K to me?

7. Hamons

THIS IS NOT THE PROGRAM I USE. This is the program Lesco hands out.

Well, I am in zone 5/6 -- so I'm sure Zone 7 would be a little different. But -- this plan is not a good one for any zone. My intention was that by disussing why this program was bad -- we could help Jason -- and others -- design a program far superior than "the basic Lesco program"

I agree with all of your points. Could we use those same products, but arranged more appropriately?

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked to the Lesco dealer in Independence, Mo at the beginning of the year and that is off from what they are recommending. They are saying....
    Early Spring 19-0-6 Dimension 30% PPSCU
    Late Spring 19-0-6 Dimension 30% PPSCU
    Summer 14-0-14 Mach 2 30% PPSCU (season long grub control)
    Early Fall 32-3-8 30% PPSCU
    Late Fall 35-3-5 quick release fertilizer

9. lawndude2004

lawndude2004 LawnSite Member

your fertilization program depends on what type of grass your client has. If they have cool season grasses, then you want to fert in sept with a starter fert when you aerate and overseed. In the beginning of nov a second app of fert 32-3-8 should be applied to the cool season grass to boost strength. we usually apply a final app in dec with lots of potash and pre em to winterize. when february arrives put down a final fert with minimal nitrogen and lots of pre emergence. this has produced great results for us becaues it does not feed summer grasses making them weaker and weaker each year.

10. Hamons

DLS -- In my opinion -- that is an even worse program. Question is why?