Fertilizer Program?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by bluesclues, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bluesclues

bluesclues LawnSite Member

Looking at starting a fertilizer program. How should go about pricing and applications? I have Lesco's program, I just don't know how to price it. And I have heard of people only doing 4 applications when there is like 8 or 9 apps on the program. Help please...

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

First off do you have a pesticide to do fertilization/weed control? If you don't than you can get fined several thousand dollars. There are inspectors looking for people without licenses to apply weed control products.

3. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Blue, Let me ask you something before I answer your ?

I see you list all your equipment and I assume you are a small mowing operator, right?

Well how did you come to your prices for the services you provide now? Did you go by what every Tom, Dick & Harry mowing man charges or did you do a detailed budget on what all your expenses are vs. what you need to make to show a profit?

Thats how I came to my prices for all the work I perform, I dont care what other people are pricing jobs at, because I know all my numbers, in turn it makes it easy for me to price my work.

Now the pesticide license issue is important to alot of people in this forum, reason why is alot of guys in here have worked very hard,either for other companies or for themselves to learn the trade, and have alot of years under their belt doing this, also pay high premiums for insurance to be able to hold that licence and spend money every year on keeping it updated thru extensions services and credit classes.

Applications of pesticides are coming under tougher and tougher scrutiny by local governments and other organizations and having unlicensed, inexperienced applicators just hurt the industry and make it harder for the people on this forum that are doing things right to perform jobs.

So if you are new to this end of the business I would recommend you enroll in some turf classes thru local university or look into working for another lawn treatment company to learn the trade. IF you are the type of guy thats thinks its okay to do these treatments for your customers without the proper licenses and insurance then your are taking a big chance at getting caught and paying fines, as well as giving our industry a black eye.

4. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well said ns400.

David

5. Macvols

Macvols LawnSite Member

I'll send you a private message on how I price apps.
    Mike

6. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

A lesco program gets broke down to price per thousand for you. You then would figure the sq ft the lawn your doing. Say mrs jones lawn is 10k. so lesco say's your most expensive application costs you say $1.25 per k, means your material cost is $12.50. And it'll take you .5 hrs to fertilize&spray weeds, blow the sidewalks off and fill out paperwork. And your hourly is say fourty an hour then your costs so far are up to time & material.(32.50) Be sure to judge the lawn while quoting on the weed control needed to clean up the yard. Add that cost in and a little over-head cost, and you gotta price. Most seven or eight app programs are including one or two insecticide apps. In your area lawns may take 6 or seven visits per year. If you have a plan then you should know how many pounds of N per thousand, per visit your applying. And do a little reseach on how many pounds of N per thousand in a growing season is required for the lawns you mantain. You could check with county extension offices for ssolid advice on that i'd hope. Lot of planning involved, good luck!