Fertilizer Question, Need help

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by johnap104, Aug 17, 2008.

1. johnap104

johnap104 LawnSite Member

I went to my local Lesco store today to buy some winterizer fertilzer. The girl that helped me sold me so 10-0-20. Is this the correct mix for winterizer? I live in the Midwest. I thought I should be using the 32-0-10. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, first of all, it is way to early to apply winterizer, around Halloween is the preferred time. If you are going to apply fertilizer now a 50% slow release is what I use and then a high nitrogen, low slow release, less than 30%, around Halloween. Unless you are in sandy soil you do not need much, if any additional P or K, our soils normally have adequate amounts of both for turf growth.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

johnap, I think you'd get a different prognosis from just about EVERY lawnsiter on this one! :laugh:

I do agree with FdLLawnMan, though, late Aug / early Sep is too early to be thinking about the "last application".

My premium customers will get a thorough double soil aeration, a endomycorrhizal fungi injection, 15# / 1000 sq ft of soybean meal, all mixed up, and covered up with approx 1/2" of finished compost...from leaf and manure origins.

My 'bridge' organic customers will get an aeration and a 18-1-2 product, that's a marriage between traditional and organic lawn care.

Deere / Lesco's 32-0-10 is designed for drought conditions, because, if I'm not mistaken, is about 70-75% slow release...with iron!
    If you applied that product now...it'll be used up by the end of September, easily. Then you'd be back there looking for something ELSE as a winterizer!

10-0-20 certainly can't hurt your lawn.
    That extra K (potassium) does wonders for root growth, especially in conjunction with a good, deep, thorough soil aeration, if you're planning on doing that this fall too.
    Does your soil have a potassium deficiency, by chance?
    Have you ever had a soil test done for any reason?

4. johnap104

Actually, I wasn't planning on applying it until until October. I just wanted purchase it now because the dealer is 60 miles from where I live and I didn't want to make another trip. So the 10-0-20 would be ok for fall?

5. johnap104

Where can I send a soil test to?

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

That is nor what I would apply as a winterizer. Marcos and I do not agree on this, but there is no proof that adding additional potassium, when there is already adequate amounts, results in additional root growth. If I were you I would use 32-0-8, 30% slow release in late October unless your soil results indicate low P or K. I will look up the address for the soil tests and put it in another posting. I will also look up the website that gives instructions on how to properly obtain the soil samples.

7. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

My question is how did you find a Lesco open on sunday, they aren't even open saturdays in pa.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Totally agree with Mike!

Go high N in the fall/late winter. You can use slow release but the later it gets (especially after a frost or two) you can go all mineral N.

9. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Marcos,

What are you using to spread 1/2 inch of compost?

10. johnap104

I actually went to the John Deere Landscape store on Sat. They are only open until noon.