Fertilizer question

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by The landscaper, Mar 27, 2006.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What is a good fertilizer to put down in the spring? I am not licensed, so I can only do fert. Looking for something that is easy to put down, without killing everything. Thanks

2. bingermann

bingermann LawnSite Member

Weed and Feed

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Weed and feed not,try your lesco dealer or some coop near you ask them,breaking the law is fun until you get caught.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

organic fert -milorganite, red rooster

5. The landscaper

I thought i read somewhere on here, that lesco prices on fert were not very good.

Also, how many times do you usually need to apply fert throughout the year?

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Lesco's pricing is pretty good for what they deliver, a pretty good product.

As far as how many times per year you need to fertilize, the answer may be a window into how much there is to learn. Check with your local cooperative extension office and ask them how many pounds of nitrogen do they recommend per thousand square feet for the growing season. 4-6 is a ballpark. Then calculate how much you are putting down in each application and how long that application lasts (depends on how much slow release you have in your formulation). As for phosphorous and potassium amounts a 3-1-2 ratio is another ballpark, but check with the pros in your area for this too. Many communities are adopting zero phosphorous ordinances to keep this element from polluting the rivers and streams. So, maybe a 3-0-2 ratio is what you will have to work with. There are a variety of micro-nutrients that benefit turf as well and can make your lawns stand out even more, e.g. iron or manganese ("some people don't even know what that is"-Carl Spackler). I am growing a little weary of this post, but that is a start. Remember, keep learning. I learn something new every day.

Many may take pot shots at you for seemingly not knowing anything about fertilizer applications. I am not in that kind of mood today. Good luck.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

16-4-8 is usually good and safe for spring time:)

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

great response,
    I'll add to that,
    If you would like to get a education in fert. read this thread, a lot of really good reading here.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=87799&highlight=hamon

9. The landscaper

Thanks for the help.

Thats why I'm on here. Trying to learn as much as possible.