Fertilizer question

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by fool32696, Apr 2, 2008.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing lawn maintenance for over 10 years now but have never really applied much fertilizer. I'm in central Florida and have a customer with a thick St. Augustine lawn. This is what he requested: high Nitrogen, mid-period, fertilizer application. How much of what fertilizer should I apply?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

3. fool32696

No help. I asked about fertilizer. Not pesticides/herbicides. No license is needed for fertilizer only. I know it's hard for people to answer a question on this site without mention of license/tax/insurance/lowballing but if you want to be helpful, try.

Go this from that link:
    1. Who needs a restricted use pesticide applicator license?
    Anyone using or supervising the use of restricted use pesticides on agricultural or related sites in Florida needs a restricted use pesticide license. Also, a license is required of anyone who aerially applies any pesticide in Florida to agricultural or related sites. Agricultural and related sites include but are not limited to the following areas: farms, plant nurseries, livestock, forests, ornamentals and turf not associated with structures (such as golf courses, parks, and cemeteries), right-of-way areas (along highways, railroads, pipelines, etc.), soil and greenhouse fumigation, raw agricultural commodity fumigation, aquatic weed control, wood treatment, seed treatment, sewer root control, use of antifouling boat paints, treatment of swimming pools with chlorine gas, demonstration and research using agricultural or related restricted use pesticides, and regulatory use of agricultural or related restricted use pesticides.

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I think It should be you that tells him when and what to lay down...Its a very difficult question to answer...not seeing the lawn or soil tests...or what the temperature Is...maybe go with a Organic fertilizer and apply acording to the label .

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Per above, I agree, you don't want to be jerked around by every customer's every whim. You have certain services that you do well, and should know them well. Recommend what you would do and if what he wants doesn't mesh, down the road....

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are the new rules for fertilizing in Florida, they don't go into effect for some time but it is good to be aware of them. It states it by area and turf type

It affects us more as a manufacture of fertilizer, as we have to change all of our labels and pull any old product after a certain time

http://www.flaes.org/pdf/Urban_turf_fact_sheet.pdf

7. fool32696

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll head down to john deere landscapes and see what they have to say.