1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer questions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Apr 7, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I don't normally do any fertilizing but I have a couple of new customer that I want to keep because they are all on the same street. They want one company to do everything. So what should I use to make there lawn lush, green and weed free? How many times do I fertilze and how much do I use? I don't want to screw up thier lawns.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Try asking this in the pesticide application forum.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

That really depends on the customer, the type of turf and your climate. Rule of thumb in the Northern climates is 3-4 times per year. You may want to try a search at the MSU turf site for fertilizer recomendations, I don't have the link handy but a general search should reveal it. Remember heavy fertilizing = increased thach. Try to get them to pay for core areation in the fall.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

5. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

If you are not ready to get involved with that aspect of the business you could sub the work out to someone else. You just might get work from the company you sub to. Nice trade off.
  6. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Nobody here seems to be able to help me. Does anyone fertilize thier customers lawns?
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think that most here have offered you a professional curtosey of avoiding your question because it is apparent that you may not be certified to make chemical applications, and thus if we gave you direction on how to do it and you get caught it may not rest well on their minds.

I would find a viable sub-contractor that specializes in chemical applications that is not a mowing contractor. This could turn out to be profitable for you as well if you are looking to expand your customer base.

I agree too that this question pertains to the pesticide forum, even though this is a service many LCOs provide.

Good Luck!
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

pcs, the guys are right. It's not worth the hassle if you're not licenced and you get caught. You can do the fertilizing but you can't do the weeds legally. For fertilizing only a couple of lawns I would just go to Home depot and buy the premium line from Scott's and follow the directions. Just read them before you get to the customers. As for the weeds I would sub that out to a licenced company that doesn't do cutting. I had a new customer today call Weedman and tell him I would be doing the lawn now, you can bet your ass the weedman will be calling to check if I have a licence and insurance tomorrow morning first thing. I am legal so it's not a problem just a nuisance.
    There might even be some guys here from Toronto that could do the work for you, check the profiles.