1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer Questions

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by michaelmeyers31, Nov 29, 2006.

1. michaelmeyers31

michaelmeyers31 LawnSite Member

Do you guys remove the mulch before fertilizing or fertilize on top of the mulch? Especially in regards to bark. Also wondering how often do you fertilize boxwoods? I know people who have never fertilize them and they seem to be doing great. Thanks for your assistance.:dizzy:
  2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

depending on the size ,if there large ,i would use a spike to poke holes around the drip line and then drop the fert down in.if there small then just peel the bark back and again fert around the drip line.if you're using water soluble nitrogen you can just sprinkle some around.i would do them once a :) year in late winter.try hollytone.good luck.
  3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If an established tree or shrub has good color and is producing adaquate new growth it should not be fertilized. Studies have shown that adding fertilizer to woody plants that have adaquate fertility can make the plants more susceptible to attack from diseases and insects.

Under the following conditions I would fertilize a woody ornamental:
    -Planting around new construction where there is little or no topsoil. (little or
    no nutrients present in the soil, soil is compacted)
    -Chlorotic foliage
    -Plant is recovering from drought. Drought causes plants to produce a large amount of seed or fruit the following year. This causes the plant to use more nutrients than normal.
    -Recent transplants. Need extra fert to re-establish root system.
    -Heavy traffic over root system or loss of root system due to construction. Plant needs help to generate new roots.

When fertilizing trees / shrubs it is best to use a controlled release fertilizer.
  4. michaelmeyers31

michaelmeyers31 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Good advice. I did not think about the other types of fertilizing that I could try. I like the injection but I hear they could damage a thin or young tree as well as those that are stressed. I was also told that you did not need to fertilize trees because when you fertilize the grass, the trees would benefit from that fetilizer but I was always taught trees need much more fertilizer. Thanks again for your assistance.
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

A thick, healthy lawn will probably intercept most broadcast fertilizer before it has a chance to get to the tree roots. I like to go with Crab's idea of poking holes around the drip line and placing fertilizer in the holes. Agriform or Woodace Fertilizer tablets are designed specifically for this.
  6. golfkingisaac

golfkingisaac LawnSite Member

With small plants eg. roses etc i usually leave a small 'exposed' gap around the plant & do not mulch there. Then when fertilizing etc needs to be done i go straight to that point & weeds are usually easy to come out if they pop up in this gap.

I dont really fertilize trees, but citrus trees etc i treat & watch carefully & give them a boost 1-3 times a year if they need it.