Fertilizer ratios N-P-K

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZYAL8R, Apr 10, 2000.

1. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

i just bought a ton of 15-15-15 fertilizer. 50 pound bags, which is forty bags. paid about $220, or 5.50 a bag. i figuerd it was a good price. was going to by 40-0-0 but i figured all that damn nitrogen would be pushing it. slip and oops, brown lawn. 40-0-0 was 180 a ton. and it was not slow release.<br> i figured a lot of my newer lawns have not got a does of fertilizer in some years and though the extra P and K would do some good..... was wondering if it could possibly do to much good? or what will it do?<br>thanks <br>travis

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

geez, can't believe you bought 2000 lbs. before you knew if it was what you needed or not!<br>15-15-15 is mainly for new plantings; flowers, shrubs, etc. & I use it sometimes for new lawns to perk up the soil. It has other uses also; check your resource materials to find out.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p>

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope you are a licensed applicator. <p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

4. There is no need to be a licensed applicator to apply fert in my state.<p>15-15-15 is a great product if your are<br>growing tomatoes.<p>The straight urea would have been a much better choice for lawn care. Can you exchange<br>the product for the 46-0-0?

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Since when does someone need a license for fertilizer?<p>Not the best mix for lawns. You will always be applying too much of one part, not enough of another. Maybe a local farmer would buy the load off you?<p>Bill

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You could also blend the 15-15-15 with another ratio fertilizer. It would dilute your 15(3) but enhance your 6-1-2? Otherwise like the previous posts state put it in a garden or crop before planting.

7. Good idea toro guy but maybe he could buy another ton of 46-0-0 and mix it with the<br>15-15-15 and then try to figure of the rate<br>of application at 1 lb of N per 1k sq ft.

8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Different Lawns have different requirements.<p>If this is the only fertilizer you're using, it may not be the ideal choice, but the price is right and it is a balanced fertilizer.<p>I apply 5-8 tons of 19-19-19 per year, primarily on new lawns and underfed lawns to bring them up to a maintenance level.<br>

9. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

well some of it will be used for growing tomatoes, a little for some shrubs, and the rest will be mixed with 40-0-0 to boost the nitrogen and be put on the lawns. figured i would make it work for the price.<br>what will the extra P-K do to the lawns if i put down just the 15-15-15?? would there be enough N in this ration to green it up?<br>

10. The easy way to solve you problem whould be to spread the 15-15-15 at 1/2 lb. of N per<br>1k sq ft then also apply 46-0-0 over the top<br>at 1/2 lb per N per 1k sq ft.<p>This combo at that rate will do the trick.