Lawn Care Forum banner

Fertilizer response time

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cgaengineer 
#1 ·
I have had two complaints today (more than I have had the whole year combined).

One has a Bermuda lawn, was treated on Wednesday with a 30-0-8, 30% PCSCU, says we missed an area because part of the lawn "is not as green."

2nd lawn is zoysia in the same neighborhood, says it looks like there are solid areas that were damaged from the spraying.

I'm getting ready to go look at these lawns, hoping both are incorrect. but I fear one of them has to be correct, and I assume they both have the same problem (either fertilizer misapplication or slight burn from some MSMA).

Would you think there is any way that a greenup response would be seen in 3 days on already very green bermuda or healthy zoysia?

#2 ·
I have had two complaints today (more than I have had the whole year combined).

One has a Bermuda lawn, was treated on Wednesday with a 30-0-8, 30% PCSCU, says we missed an area because part of the lawn "is not as green."

2nd lawn is zoysia in the same neighborhood, says it looks like there are solid areas that were damaged from the spraying.

I'm getting ready to go look at these lawns, hoping both are incorrect. but I fear one of them has to be correct, and I assume they both have the same problem (either fertilizer misapplication or slight burn from some MSMA).

Would you think there is any way that a green up response would be seen in 3 days on already very green bermuda or healthy zoysia?
I don't think you would get a green response in 3 days from a granular fert.

I spray a liquid fert that is foliar fed and you get a response in 3 days.

I Hope you the best with your lawns.

Charles Cue

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

As I expected, the Bermuda lawn was definitely not, "less green in one area." The lawn looked as green as possible. I took a photo, should post it.

The zoysia lawn definitely had some MSMA burn. bad mistake on our part. We were applying very low rate, but temps were borderline. Thankfully this customer is/was a personal friend. haha.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

As I expected, the Bermuda lawn was definitely not, "less green in one area." The lawn looked as green as possible. I took a photo, should post it.

The zoysia lawn definitely had some MSMA burn. bad mistake on our part. We were applying very low rate, but temps were borderline. Thankfully this customer is/was a personal friend. haha.
Yea, the temps your having out there you need to careful. I have been spraying msma in 90 to 95 degree temps with no problem using 1oz/gal with sticker...any higher than that and your asking for trouble.

#7 ·
Yea, the temps your having out there you need to careful. I have been spraying msma in 90 to 95 degree temps with no problem using 1oz/gal with sticker...any higher than that and your asking for trouble.
It was about 90 this day. still have to be careful.

I think the problem was that this lawn had not been mown in probably a month, literally. combo of msma, plus borderline heat, plus really long zoysia=trouble.

#8 ·
I would think you would see results with granular in about a week. I fertilized my own bermuda lawn the weekend before July 4th because I was getting seed heads, after my first mowing (about 4-5 days) the seed heads didn't return.

I just did a blanket app (14,000 sqft) of MSMA for a neighbor on Thursday and the temps were pretty high (high 90's)....the entire lawn is yellowing, but the CG is dying. I am always scared to apply MSMA, but I have to learn somehow. I have not had any bad luck with MSMA yet, but that doesn't mean I am not cautious. Customer is very happy to see all the CG dying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.