fertilizer restrictions possable licensing

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by 1stclasslawns, Dec 6, 2003.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The area I live in and work in in north Arkansas Has been declared a "nutrient rich zone"

In the next year anything over 2 1/2 acres has to have an approved nutrient plan prepared by government and must be followed. The fines start at $5000.00 per incident.

I have put the properties I have of that size on the list for inspection.

Anyone else have this or heard of this.

Jim

2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't heard of it, until now. What part of North Arkansas?

3. 1stclasslawns

The "nutrient rich zone" is from the Oklahoma border east about 100 miles.

Jim

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What are they refering to as being "nutrient rich"? Are they talking about an overabundance of phosphorus, or what?

5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Runner: I think you hit the nail on the head. The Northwest part of Ark. is notorious for dumping loads and loads of chicken litter on the cattle pastures. The problem is it is getting in the ground water of not only Ark. but OK also. That is probably what they are talking about. Tony

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

This all relates to EPA's non-point source pollution program. Dealing with it in this area, but not at this level. At this point EPA is focusing on the farmers in the rural areas which are affecting the Chesapeake Bay estuary. It is amazing what these nutrient loads can do to an ecosystem, at my parents lake home, come midsummer the algae bloom is so bad you can't see the bottom let alone all the other aquatic vegetation....makes fishing a PITA. All this from the farmlands upstream from the reservoir.

7. 1stclasslawns

Phosphorus and nitrates. It is silly to go after every T>D>H> out there. They are trying a shotgun approach.

I told some friends of mine I used to fish creeks with years ago that too much chicken shipt was being used, I told the game and fish commission biologist. I was ignored.

The problem isn't everyone who is going to have to jump through hoops just to raise grass the problem is DON TYSON! But money talks and the poor boy gets screwed.