1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer rust?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by 7mtnsod, Feb 2, 2005.

1. 7mtnsod

7mtnsod LawnSite Member

Does anyone know any handy way to stop/prevent hoppers and equipment from deteriorating over time? It seems no matter how much you clean your equipment.....the fertilizer is so darn corrosive.

I had heard there was a special paint for hoppers/bins to help protect?????

Any help is appreciated.
  2. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Marine grade paints (avail. at boat supply stores etc.) may help slow down the corrosion somewhat but once that "cancer" starts it is pretty tough to stop on conventional metals. That is why the better spreaders use Poly hoppers and stainless steel frames and parts. I'm not sure what you use but check out the spreaders from Lesco and Spyker. They are extremely durable and other than lubing the bearings they are virtually maint. free.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Cheaper spreaders are made cheaper. They are disposable. I have a Bigfoot spreader from Prizelawn and it is well worth the 375 I paid for it 5 years ago. I have put thousands of pounds thru it and it is ready for year 6.

Stainless and plastic are your best friends here.
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Fert. eats metal,you really can't stop it. Clean the equipment the best you can and apply a light coating of oil,that will slow it down. The best bet is to go poly/stainless!
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

have 2 lesco poly/stainless, not a spot of rust on em'. that marine paint sounds like a good idea if you can't replace with new.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Don't wash your spreader with water. Use a air compressor and keep it as dry as possible. When the fertilizer gets wet it starts to react and causes rust. Yes Fertilizer will absorb moisture from the air. I have never tried oil but it sounds like a good Idea.
  7. We used to wash (water) and oil!
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

You can buy a product called rust-mort at auto paint supplyers, it is a sandable primer that turns rust black and is very good at stopping suface rust. Sand first, spray or brush R-M, then scuff and paint.