1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer Spreader Transportation

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by SLC LLC, Apr 30, 2007.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of trying to make my own rack to haul fetilizer spreaders utilizing the receiver on my truck. Does anyone have any pictures of ones that they currently have made or even have purchased and used. I am just trying to get some different ideas.

My goal is to have the rack slide into my receiver on the truck. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

push spreader? if so there is one on e bay.
    if you do a search on this site there are a few with pictures..
  3. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about doing this. But, do you really want to risk someone rear ending you and the first thing that gets' damaged is what makes you money? I rethought and decided not to do it. I was going to mount a Dethatcher and Aerator back there since loading them in the truck is a pain.
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We use hitch receiver spreader holders from LESCO. My guys love 'em.

Backing out of steep driveways can be a prob, so you have to keep that in mind.

Price: very reasonable.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lescos are nice. But how about going to a welding shop. Save your back. Tell them what you need. Try to get a rack where you don't have to lift the spreader. Slide the axle up a ramp. Or run the wheels up a tiny ramp. Or use your snowplow hydraulics to lift it. Some shops love to do stuff like this.

Options to think about. Tail lights or reflector. Double locking system to safely secure your spread. Hole for padlock for when you stop for pop in one of those dodgy neighborhoods.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

If you're talkin' ride-on carrier...our State law requires tail lights on anything that sticks out more than 48 inches. Our Perma Green carriers (one is from PG, and the other made locally) are 47 inches. Just under the requirement for tail lights.
  7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

8. SLC  LLC

Thanks for the comments everyone. To clarify, I am talking about a lesco rotary push spreader. We have two of them. I would like to make a rack that will carry two at a time.
    Also, I am a certified welder myself. Do not know much about dealing with hydraulics and stuff like that, but the welding I can handle (and enjoy).
  9. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

i built a double spreader carrier about 2 years ago. worked great. picked up the steel at a local discount steel yard. cost under $100. this last winter, built to single carriers due to the mounting of the taillights on the 2 new trucks. the spreaders on the double would have blocked all of my rear lights. i will try to get some pics this week and post them.
  10. SLC  LLC

mnturfmaster - any pics you could provide would be mosr appreciative. thanks again!