Fertilizer Spreaders

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by turfman33, Oct 30, 2002.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hi,

It seems that every Fertilizer company has it's own spreader. Is there any spreaders out there taht are calibrated to take any companies fertilizer. Crazy having to buy different spreaders for different fertilizers.

Steve

2. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

You can use any spreader to apply all brands of fertilizer. It is best to calibrate the spreader yourself to ensure accuracy.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have used Earthway before, and they give you a booklet with the spreader, which tells you the recommended settings for many different types of granulars. Of course, as stated above, Its best to double check calibration yourself.

4. I take it you are refering to Scotts and Lesco.

I would sure hate to use my Lesco on Scotts., or my Spiker or Earthway who doesn't even make a fert.

These companies make both products and on many bags of ferts give arox settings for their products in many other MFG's spreaders.

As stated above, you can use almost any fert in almost any spreader.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Believe it or not, I sometimes use a Scotts spreader and most of the time I use Lesco ferts. If your using Lesco fert your going to have to know how much to apply,its not written on the bag!:eek: How would you figure out what number to set a spreader on, lets say, if your applying @ 3# per 1000 sq.ft? Hehehe. :D

6. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

There's a few things you can do..
    Call Scott's (if that's the spreader you have) have get a settings chart. That will tell you what to set Scott's spreaders on for Scott's products. Assuming that particle sizes between Lesco and Scott's are the same, you can use the Scott's chart as a gauge.
    I.E.
    Scott's setting has a 34-2-7 and recommends to put on setting 7.5
    If you are using a Lesco 32-3-8 or 34-3-11 you can figure the spreader setting is going to be near that 7.5

What you do from that point is spread the lawn, determine how much you used and how much was needed and make adjustments from there..

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

If someone has the Scott's settings then please send me an email. I have all of our most popular items on a spread sheet with all the other brands of spreaders. But not the latest Scott's model.
    It drives me nuts when a spreader manufacturer feels obliged to change the settings. We changed our unit over from letters to numbers (that represent the same old gage setting) & I'm still getting used to it.
    With a few of the product numbers (or analysis & sgnn would be better), I can xref the settings & add it to the spread sheet.
    Anyone wanting it as-is, send an email. I'll forward it as time allows.

Thanks,

Steve

sls247@lesco.com

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to know how to calibrate a spreader, go read <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=89626#post89626">THIS POST</a> by Skookum in the archives.

Real calibration is done for the individual on any machine. The settings given on a product bag are just approximations. Actual spread rate and pattern depends on the individual, the condition of the spreader, and humidity, among the most important variables. If you just use the numbers on the bag, or anybody else's numbers, you're just guessing.

9. jdkenaf

jdkenaf LawnSite Member

I prefer the Lesco spreader. However no matter which spreader you use, you need to calibrate to each spreadable product and individual since pace and length of legs(ground speed) will differ with each applicator. As professionals, the law in most states will require calibration in their nutrient management law. Approximate settings are for homeowners and greenhorns. It seems like a pain, however in the long run it will save you $$ in product and satisfied customers. Remember that with fertilizers and control products, more or less is not better...using the right amount for the desired results is just right.