Fertilizer Spreaders

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Weedburner, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

What is everyone's favorite brand of fertilzer spreader? I do very little fertilizing, mostly herbicide spraying. Looking for something that is reasonable to push and will last a while. Do you use plastic or stainless steel? I have sprayed areas that show a sharp color line in the grass between properties. Is this done with a drop spreader? Is a fan type to reduce the chance of streaks the way to go.
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

LESCO spreaders only!!!:D

Spend the extra for the right side shield with remote third hole cut-off. Great for along sidewalks and drives.
  3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

The Lesco spreader is the only way to go.. You might get a little bit of sticker shock with the price, but they are well worth it.
    I worked for a company back in 95-96 and they are still using the same spreaders today that I did back then.

A little maintenence goes a LONG way!!!!

P.S. Go with the stainless steel, it's $30 more, but well worth it!!
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Stainless is the only way to go. If not, whatever you buy will disintegrate within a season or two from the corrosiveness of the fertilizer.
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I am obviously biased here because I work for LESCO. But I am quite sincere. This is the story of my own personal spreader.

I used to work for the "big guys". My spreader was purchased new, by them, in 1982 before the introduction of stainless steel frames. After treating 7 million square feet per year for 5 years my branch manager had me throw it into a dumpster. LESCO had just introduced the new stainless frame and instead of installing new gears & bearings over the winter, we would instead begin to update our fleet. Instead of the dumpster, mine found the back of my truck.

After it's first 35 million sq. ft., I used it to "moonlight" for another 5 years before taking my current employment position. A conservative estimate for those 10 years would be about another 10 million sq. ft.

After 45 million square feet & 21 years, the entire frame is now stainless, the rims & tires have been enlarged & updated, steaal ball bearings have been eliminated, and this year it recieved the new sealed gear set. It's more than ready for another 50 or 60 million square. Golfball logo hopper & all.

I'd wager there are many spreaders out there that have done a lot more work than this one has! Many of the lawns done by this one were quite small & lately, it does very little work at all. But it is still a lot more capable than most competitive models.

Oh yeah! I can also find parts for this "antique" at any of 235 locations nationwide.

Hope Chuck doesn't mind the plug! LOL

6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I use Earthway. I thought that you could only use Lesco Fert in a Lesco spreader LOL.

I just can't handle the sticker shock of Lesco Fertilizer. (I have an inside advantage over most of the guys if not all on the site) I sell fertilizer for a living.

I know what it cost and what is tooo High.

Laying all jokes aside, there are many good spreaders on the market. Just make sure you invest in a Stainless Steel and this only. You will pay the big bucks but you will have many years of service from it. No matter which brand you purchase.

Fertillizer and Mild Steel just don't mix....
  7. Many of the commercail duty spreader will last you a life time providing you fallow a few steps.

Clean it

grease it

Adjust it

and don't throw it in tha back of a truck

Stainless steel is a good choice.

I have a few Lesco pushers

2 Earthways 1) tow 1) push

And a Lesco truster which is over 10 years old. No stainless available. A little P&B goes a long way on this ones gear box.

For callabration, the LESCO is easy.

I have used many of the others, and with the stainless models they are all in the same price range.
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, but with old age creeping up on me thinking about going with a electric one to put on ztr, gets a little hard to push w/100lbs in it, (Ok now, no laughing) Next one will probably be lesco.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Bigfoot spreader and I am happy with it but I must say that this was the only heavy duty commercial spreader that was available locally at the time.
    Tremor, I have been waiting for a Lesco franchise to come into my area but the best we got was individual bags sold at Home Depot.
    The Bigfoot is all stainless and plastic and will hold 100# but calibration isn't the easiest initially. After working with it I have my settings down pat but it wasn't an easy task. Lots of catching and sweeping.

The advise above holds true, COMMERCIAL AND STAINLESS. Put the money down for a professional tool, you will generate a tremendous amount of income from the spreader. You owe it to yourself and your customers that pay you to have a unit that delivers the correct amount of fertilizer and lasts you for years.
  10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow Ed,

25 new store opening this year. But I don't recall if any are in WI. I used to mail order my stuff before there were stores.