Fertilizer to end season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hopper1124, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I recently reseeded a lawn in early September, I still have a few bare spots, I will reseed again in Spring. The question I have is what do I end the season with for fertilizer on this lawn? I already put a starter fert down when I seeded what should I put down to enhance the seed in the spring?
    I know you are supposed to put a high Nitrogen fert down around Thanksgiving will it hurt the month and half old seed?

I live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area
    Thanks
    Hopper

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

A winter fert is what you need. Use slow release. How high are the blades? The starter fert is used up for the most part after the blades reach an inch or two. I'd say put it down after thanksgiving, I seeded in sept. and I'm going to fert on friday. You want to try to avoid the feast and famine routine, contact a Lesco service center in your area and they'll get you set up. Remember, an application in feb/march will not make up for a missed application in november, the march application will all go to leaf growth.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I do. I go to my local Lesco dealer and they tell me what to put down at a paticular time of year. They seem to know what they are talking about and I have learned alot from them and also from guys here on lawnsite.