Fertilizer w/pre-emergent Crabgrass control....

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by palawnman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

This maybe a stupid question, if it is I apologize, I just recently got certified to apply pesticides. Someone told me today that if you seed a lawn and put down fert w/pre-emergent crabgrass control, that the seeds will not be able to germinate. He said that the pre-emergent prevents any new germination. I had always thought that you could aerate and seed and as long as you wait 30-45 days after you seed that you could still apply crabgrass pre-emergent (as long as it is the right time of year). Am I way off on this. Like I said, I am new to this and trying to learn as much as I can, and want to do things the right way. Do pre emergents prevent new germination completely, or am I safe putting down preemergents as long as it is after 30 days? Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

PRE EMERGENTS = NO GRASS SEED COMMING UP
    its a tricky game to play with in the spring i would wait to seed in fall
    if not seen now but no pre emergents

3. palawnman

from PA

Thanks for the reply. Another question, if I aerate & seed & starter fert now (or in a couple of weeks), is it okay to apply fertilizer with broadleaf weed control, by may-june? I really appreciate the info, I am not trying to take short cuts, just kinda learning as I go, its amazing even with passing the test, I dont think that you really learn everything you need to know. Thanks

Ron

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

where r u working out of?
    the lable will tell u how long to wait to apply after the grass is up
    all r different

5. palawnman

from PA

I am in Chester County, I thought that it was 30 days, but I will look it up to make sure, thanks alot for your help.

Ron

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally, after 2 or 3 mowings you should be all right to put weed control down, but as always, read the label.

The tests in PA are good at asking detailed questions, but don't give you any field experience. You'll learn a lot your first year out...

7. palawnman

from PA

Thanks for the info, I should have known to look at the label, people are just really asking about this stuff now, and I guess that its just getting kinda hectic, not thinking straight. I am trying not to make mistakes... I totally agree with you as far as the test, I mean I passed but their is definitely stuff that now even though I already passed I am trying to go back and keep reading the books to study. The test wasnt really as hard as I expected. Thanks again...I am ready to learn.

Ron