Fertilizer/Weed control Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom-N-Texas, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all....need an opinion or two.

I've been in the lawn business for quite a while now. And I make pretty decent money. Last year I netted about $90,000. But I run a 4-man crew and we work pretty dang hard. An average of 10 hours a day 9 months out of the year. 140 lawns per week (Pretty physically draining.)

I'm contemplating starting a Lawn Treatment only division of my service. My thought is I could actually make more money in less time. Here's the math:

If I can treat just 10 yards a day (6 days a week)...and profit $25 per visit...52 weeks out of the year.......that's $78,000 Net! (OBviously excludes gas and other expenses.) And this is a ONE MAN operation......

And how long would it take to treat 10 lawns if they're fairly close together? 3 hours tops? If the business was there, I could EASILY treat 20 per day which would net me over $150,000.

Am I missing something? Can it be this easy? I need some input from someone who emphasises lawn treatments. Of course I realize that by treating 10 customers per day that I'd have to have at least 220 customers or so.

Thanks in advance!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our city I think TG and Scotts have 90% of the business. I hardly ever see a private business doing residental. And, in our area there seems to be little interest in fertilize...they want mow/blow/go and do it cheap. But you know your area I would assume?