Fertilizer WITHOUT chlorine and muriate of potash?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by LawnsharkMB, Feb 21, 2014.

1. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

I've read where so many on here have said that chlorine and muriate of potash are bad for centipede and I'm trying to heed their advice but can't seem to find a fertilizer without both. All of JDL's fertilizer seems to have chlorine. Talked to a Helena guy and they have several blends without chlorine but all are derived from muriate of potash. Anybody know where to get a good slow release granular for centipede?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Almost all fertilizer suppliers use MOP because it is cheaper and the majority of landscapers don't understand the difference between muriate of potash (MOP) and sulfate of potash (SOP). http://farmercommunity.incitecpivot...s and Publications/Fertiliser Facts/MOP SOP
    Generally speaking, SOP contains less salt & chlorine than MOP. MOP should have less of a negative impact on beneficial soil microbiology which play an important role in nutrient cycling.

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sul-Po-Mag (0-0-22) another favorite of mine.

Organic Sul-Po-Mag also known as K-Mag NATURAL is the commercial name for the mineral otherwise known as sulfate of potash-magnesia (langbeinite). Contains 22% soluble potash, 22% sulfur and 11% magnesium. A quick release source of potassium, Sul-Po-Mag also makes a good addition to soils that lack sulfur.

Broadcast 5 to 10 lbs. Sul-Po-Mag per 1,000 square feet.

K-Mag NATURAL is virtually 100% water soluble, meaning crops have access to three essential nutrients:

Potassium – Essential for protein synthesis and protein formation. It improves the flavor and color of fruits and vegetables, and promotes drought tolerance, winter hardiness, and disease and insect resistance.

Magnesium – Resides at the heart of the pigment-containing molecule, chlorophyll. As rates of photosynthesis decline, so do quality and yield.

Sulfur – Remains a key element in crop proteins. It is a requirement for nitrogen fixation in legumes and vital to vitamin synthesis in all plants, important determinants of crop quality. Without sulfur, onions, garlic and mustard would not possess their distinctive flavors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Why slow release? I would rather feed centipede 1/4 lb per month of growing season rather than one huge dose. That application is also my opportunity to apply micronutrients in a form more readily utilized by the grass and even apply materials that shift the pH to a range favorable to the centipede.

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I use sur-gro 15-0-15 and seems to be ok. Not sure if you can get that where you are . Attached the label. ok boys, tear it up:laugh:

cent-15.jpg

6. LawnsharkMB

I've seen where you and couple others say you do it this way and I would go that route if it weren't always met with "that's too much fertilizer" by a homeowner. Explaining to them that you're only putting down a 1/4 lb of N per K instead of 3/4 or a lb is impossible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. LawnsharkMB

How long does it take for the grass to start declining?

Everybody and their mama gets their fert from JDL around here and 99% of the lawns are centipede so there should be grass dying everywhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Lebanon's Proscape line has good blends with SOP I've used before. I took the label and had a custom blend made similar at a much better price. If you look at some of the greens grade blends they contain SOP but their price is not feasible.

9. greendoctor

Depends on the soil and location. My situation is different. I am surrounded by the ocean, materials are transposed to where they have no business being, and the volcanic clay does a fabulous job of hanging on to everything it comes in contact with. Chlorides included. I have always said that people can get away with quite a bit in a sandy, high rainfall area that is inland. Things are different when normal rainfall is 20" or less per year and the usual soil is very heavy clay.

10. greendoctor

Then you need a different kind of customer. No one tells me when or how to do something.