1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Braveheart, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart LawnSite Member

Some of my customers want me to start fertilizing. I bought $18 bags at Home Depot and charged $55 each. God math?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

s u r e . . .
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it takes absolutllyi no special knowledge, or experience or license to do this, just buy it and put it down it will probably be just fine.....

and if the lawn dies, no big deal you can just spread a little seed around...

oh by the way could you explaing the significance of the three numbers and what the mean that are displayed on a bag, i heard it was just for store reference...;)
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I almost snapped on you until I saw the sarcasm:)

To the OP, you had best stop doing what you're doing before you ruin someone's lawn, or get yourself in hot water with a certain state or federal agency...
  5. daveintoledo

just a little humor...actually most states dont require a license for just fertilizer, but he probably bought a product containing fertilizer and weed control, ...and i hear florida is one of the more lax states reguarding this,

but hey you dont really have to know what your doing, just put it down it will be fine....:dizzy:
  6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Who said lawncare isn't about having fun, huh?
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. A lot of retail-fertilizer-in-a-bag type has some sort of pesticide in it.
  8. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

How do you go about getting a license to fertilize?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

1# is amount you can pack on one pallet and still be safe.
    2nd# is the bin it must be stored in-- if this # is a zero than it goes outside
    3rd# is a in house # and I am not sure about HD but Lowes uses it to calculate weight on the shelf when the relative humidity falls with-in a certain parameter.
    And Dave-- just for the record I am very disappointed that you did not know this.
  10. daveintoledo

i knew someone could clear it up for me ....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thats pretty creative.....:)