Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ckrantz, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ckrantz

ckrantz LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm kind of new to the landscaping business. I've been offering mowing, pressure washing, tree removal services on the side now for quite some time.

A lot of my customers ask me to not only cut their lawn but they want it to be greener than the neighbors. I tell them to just call chemlawn or a comperable company. And they come out and charge a pretty hefty fee and the lawn looks great (especially after I mow it).

Well I was always afraid to get into the Fertilizers side of the business. Can anyone give me links to places that carry a whole supply of Fertilizers and all of the different products I need to help my customers??

My question is, those truegreen and chemlawn trucks have these nice big old tanks on the back.. Are they liquid Fertilizers or Pesticides?? I've always heard that solid time released fertilizers are better than liquid.

So in short.. whats in the name brand tanks, and second I need the links to a bulk and med bulk supplier of lawn care products.
  2. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Go to www.lesco.com for info on materials. You can also use the site to determine which Lesco is closest to where you live/work.

As for the tanks on the back of the trucks....it's probably pesticides, although many companies still use liquid ferts as well.
  3. ckrantz

ckrantz LawnSite Member

Thank you for the info, I'm glad to find there is a lesco rep 8 miles from me and I didn't even know it!

I just found out that Maryland doesn't require a applicator license to apply fertilizer, only for pesticides. Honestly I only wanted to give customers the Fertilizer and if they need pesticide I would sub it out.

How many of you people out there still use liquid fertilizer? My problem is I have a complete setup to run a liquid operation and if liquid fert will work then I'd like to use that instead?? anyone got some words of wisdom on liquid vs granular?
  4. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

You're best bet would be to get your pesticide applicator's license. That way you could apply weed & feed, and crabgrass preventers; otherwise your lawns will be green, but full of weeds.

Stick with the granular fertilizers for now. Liquid ferts tend to be either "specialty" ferts which are expensive or are for companies that combine multiple products in one tank (which usually includes pesticides), or they are just trying to cut corners and use the lowest price fert that gives the lawn a quick green (at the expense of the grass' long-term health.)