fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnsnake, Dec 3, 2003.

1. lawnsnake

lawnsnake LawnSite Member

what is the best way to learn the correct amounts of chemicals to use when fertilizing this type of grass and using this amount of emergents to get rid of this kind of grass without killing your good grass...I know experince is the best cure but you have to start somewhere and i want to learn the right way...:gunsfirin

2. lawnsnake

lawnsnake LawnSite Member

By the way I am in February getting my proper Commercial Applicators liscence...:gunsfirin

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything is on the label. The label is everything and usually it is a major part of any pesticide exam. However, they do not cover fertilizer. That being said the fertilizer label will tell you how to apply the product. When using a combination product such as a pre-ermergent herbicide, the label would tell you how much product to use.

Label, Label, Label

4. Relly

Relly LawnSite Member

The label and some education.

You need to learn what types of grass you are dealing with. You need to know what weeds, insects and diseases you are dealing with. Once you know this, then do a search on the internet. There are plenty of resources that will list treatment recommendations. Next, read the label. The label tells you what you can use it on safely, what it will kill and the rates to mix it at. When in doubt ask someone a specific question.

Do you have a LESCO nearby? They are good at at least getting you into a general program to start. From there you can tackle specifics one at a time.

Do you have community college courses that can take to learn about turf and its care?

Do you have a University Extension office nearby?

Do you have a Lawn Care or Landscapers Association that has monthly meetings you can attend? You can find good information from others in the field as well as from the speakers that these organizations sometimes provide.

What I would recommend is that you find out what the main types of turf are in your area. Find out what their recommended nutrition needs are. This will dictate your fertilization program.

Then find out out what the top weed insect and disease issues are for the turf types. Take this info and research the pests (weeds etc) to learn their biology and life cycles. Once you know this you will know how and when to treat them. You'll also have a list of pesticides. Research the different pesticides to see which ones will work best for you.

Once you get started, continue to read, gather info and learn from your hands-on experience. Make alterations as necessary to improve results.

Good Luck.

5. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Sod King has said it all. READ THE LABEL. Lesco will give you a good starting point for your area. Also bluebooktor.com will give you the LABELS for most of the chemicals on the market.