fertilizing 34-0-0

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonp, Mar 21, 2001.

1. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Has anyone ever used just straight 34-0-0 to fertilize a lawn? I have heard of people using it for a fast greenup time on dormant grass.

2. I don't use it myself, but I know a few people who have. The only problem is rapid growth from all that Nitrogen you are putting down. It is all available at one time. Get ready to mow like crazy. And yes you will get fast green up using it. I prefer to use a slow release balanced turf fertilizer, I get great green up and prolonged controlled growth from the SCU.

3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I feed roots, I use 18-3-18 with 8% IBDU and minors

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

my last time i did i used a 12-12-12 and mixed it with 21-3-6. in the spring the grass gets enough nitrogen from all the rain, maybe in the summer during a drought but i would want something like 31-3-6 so it helps out the roots to.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use 19-3-6, to much N will can lead to fungus problems when it gets warmer.

6. That's funny I don't know of any turfgrass being
    leguminous.

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

That's funny I don't know of any turfgrass being
    leguminous.

[/B][/QUOTE]

ok stone, you got me grass doesn't belong to the bean family, i hoep you know what i meant by geting enough rain....

8. This kind of fertilizer are usually use 24/48hrs before a special day to get a perfect dark green grass. only use it on a healthy grass. be careful, too much of this and you will burn and kill the grass.

9. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Guys, what about slow release with IRON???? That way you get the color without the fast growth.

Mike

10. The slow release fertilizers I use have Iron in them. It does help with greenup and it also gives the grass a darker green color.