Fertilizing a large yard.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by yokes, Jan 8, 2005.

1. yokes

yokes LawnSite Member

This will be my first year fertilizing. I am just doing dry fertilizer, weed and feed. I figure it will take three bags to do this yard, each bag cost $23.00.
    The yard is around 50k sq. ft. and is flat with a few trees on it. It will take me between 30-45min. to walk it. What should I be charging for this? Also what would you charge to aerate this yard?

2. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

you need to figure out what your hourly rate is ? or charge by the sq-ft
    if it was me i would charge 150 for app and 150 for aeration . i charge 140 per acre for apps and aeration kinda depends on what mood I'm in lol
    time is valuable set your price and make some money ,but do a great job so good luck

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Here's a secret....you take the 3 numbers on the bag, lets say you using 19-0-6 and you add them together, that would be 25, then you take that number and x's it by your sqft, that would be 1,250. Then you divide that number by the time it will take to do the job, lets use 40 min, that 31. Then finally you take 31 and x's by 4 and you get $124.

Or, you could sit down, figure out what your cost are, like how much your pesticide insurance is, your licensing fee's are, and all your other expenses that go along with running a business, so you know how much you need to make to make a living, and set your prices that way. Buts thats a pain in the a$$ doing it that way. Much easier using the secret

4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

you need to figure out what you want to charge per acre. then for multiple acres would be a little less than your per acre price. when doing smaller yards you can break it down based on sq.ft. also need to find out what is common in your area to charge for yards to be fert. have a minimum charge as well is the sq.ft. is so low that you come out with a cost of like 15 or $20 you have a minimum set higher so that yuo actually make $$. pushing a cart for now will be fine but once you get into it some you need to look into a liquid sprayer thats where you will begin to make your $$ big time.

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

You "figure" 3 bags ?
    Do yourself a favor, go learn applicating before you hurt something.
    No offense man, but your example shows so many thing that you don't know that you shouldn't even consider doing this.

6. Dman1214

Dman1214 Banned

Never have I ever heard of the "secret' B-4. Is that from your Old Fox days?

7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

It kills me, Ya know its okay for someone to come on a board like this and ask what I charge to do what I do, But how dare I ask if the guy has a license or insurance to be doing it. Then Im being negative.

BTW, the secret really sucks when your using 0-0-7 and your doing small lawns.

8. yokes

yokes LawnSite Member

Hey Phil, There is nothing wrong with this question. Yes I figure 3 bags because that is how many bags it will take to cover the sguare footage of this yard. I am new to fertilizing and just wanted a helpful answer not an insult and a put down. Thanks to the other guys that answered my question, it will be a big help.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

good 1 james i have been doing it wrong all these years

10. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

all lawns....$19.95

watch how fast your customer count will grow!