Fertilizing an Acre

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WJW Lawn, Jan 14, 2007.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Roughly what do you guys usaully charge to put fert down on an acre property? Just curious...
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

$100 / acre
  3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

$180 - $200 per application for 6 apps, but that would include pre-em and weed control. A single app would be higher.
  5. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

what kind of fert?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have learned the hard way that it's risky to post "hard numbers" for your services here for the world to see, particularly your local competition. Especially if your posts here can easily be directly connected to your business. Such as if you do the obvious and use your business name here, or have let out enough information here and there for them to make the connection.

With that in mind, I'll tell you right up front that I look at the sales aspect first and foremost. I ask myself "how is this the easiest to sell?"

It's a two-step process. You gotta sell the benefit first... which is always easy... and then sell the cost in whatever manner is most easy to understand for the customer.

First, the customer understands that quality turf grade fertilizer costs money. Some of them regard Scotts turfbuilder as quality, and have an idea what it costs down at Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Lowes. I always know the average price in the event they question my pricing.

Second, the customer understands you'll be picking up and delivering the materials, as well as doing the labor, and possibly it will be a separate visit also.

So they understand there are material costs, time and cost involved in pickup and delivery, and they also know roughly what it costs them to have you come by and service their property each week.

I find it's easiest to sell them the mowing rate, plus materials and a delivery/trip charge. It's easier to do that and sell them at a much higher rate than it is to quote less and price it by the thousand or whatever. It's crazy but it's the truth.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! Yeah! :) You made an excellent post...right up until that last sentence...Now you have ALL of us stumped! :hammerhead: :waving:
  10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

envy, what if you use organic fert that costs you 22.00 a bg/ covers 8000 m? you would be paying them.