1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizing around drainage pond

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sandrat, Apr 24, 2006.

1. sandrat

sandrat LawnSite Member

I am mowing an industrial site with a drainage pond in the front. The pond is about half the size of a football field, and is surrounded by aprox. 3 acres of lawn that is sloped toward the pond. This is my first year fertilizing, and I have never had experience with a drainage pond......and, yes, there are fish in it.( Fertilizing previously done by liqui-green). All of the pre-emergents and weed and feed have warnings about being harmful to aquatic life. Don't see any of these warnings on the regular stuff. I must use granular because I have an electric broadcast spreader that fits on the front of my ztr.........I will probably talk to my local Illinois dept of ag extension office, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
  2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

just leave a buffer zone...say 4 feet around pond untouched
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Make it a pass or 2. 4 feet isn't enough
  4. sandrat

sandrat LawnSite Member

If I leave a buffer zone, can I use the weed and feed product with the label warnings about aquatic life????????
  5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you I'd leave at least a 15 foot buffer zone. The steeper the slope the bigger the buffer zone. Barricade would be a good choice for pre-emergents here. Liquid weed control would be a much better choice than weed and feed. Use a fertilizer with lots of slow-release N, and little Phos.
  6. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

READ THE LABEL all pesticide labels, yes weed and feed is a pesticide, has woording pertaining to how close to a body of water you may get. Most often it states to avoid where run off will contaminate the water. So, stay far enough back to avoid normal rain or irrigation from washing the product into the pond.:)
  7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

my bad...the part about the lawn being 'sloped' towards the pond went over my head. definatley want more that the 4 feet i mentioned