Fertilizing around trees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cclllc, Jan 13, 2006.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody ever put out fertilizer around very mature trees?I talking about 20 plus yrs old.I told the lady I didn't think it could reach the deep roots well enough.Your thoughts please.

2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Simply use a deep root feeder (Lesco has a nice one) and use a liquid with low N. We have always used our 1-1-3 "all organic" and diluted it with water at a 1 - 1 then injected about a cup full per hole. One hole per foot of height of the tree and staggered it around the drip line.

3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Deep root injection is really the only way to go on an old tree like that. You could spread a fert around the tree, but you'll most likely feed the grass more than the tree. And doing a foliar app on a 20 year old tree might be difficult to get to the top of it.
    For smaller newer trees, Lesco has a Novex tablets that are really good for transplants, bushes, smaller trees, etc. There's around 500 tablets in a pail and costs $55-60. Put them down once a year!

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There are also tree fertilizer spikes, but I'd go with the deep root. I like Bolster liquid, personally, and sometimes mix some lesco macron 20-20-20, or 23-0-23, depending on the situation. Spreading a dry fert or doing a drench with liquiid around the base of a tree, out to the drip line, will certainly help, but I'd do deep root.

5. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

Deep root is single best thing for a tree.

Try using a micro-macro mix. Getting the fert to the location were it is needed. With little volitization or waste.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Question..What makes the customer feel that this tree needs fertilizer?

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, use a steel punch bar, poke holes 3-ft apart [ about 6-8inches deep] and pour in 8oz of a granular feed, yes low in nitrogen, especially in the spring and with maples [ to reduce instances of Verticillium Wilt].....start at the "Drip Line" [ the end of the canopy- the furthest branch extensions], work your way inward to the trunk, make 3 or more rings around the trunk of the tree...........and waaaalaa......you've now fed a mature tree, and better than most of the pro's useing a liqued "Deep Root Feeding":waving: .....just for referance I usally get $95-150 per mature treepayup

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You should also cap the fert holes w/topsoil once filled nocutting.You knew that right?

9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Do you really do that?....The holes I punch are 1x2 inches at the most [ sandy soil here], usally just kick the turf back over the hole?........is it an estatic thing?........safety issue?.........Or are you just picking on me:nono: :blush:

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

there is a bit u can get for a drill for root feeding it has no point so it wont go through a root ---eaiser on the back