fertilizing certificate

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, May 10, 2006.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

was wondering if a pesticide certificate also includes lawn fertilizing or is there as one for just fertilizer.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

most states you don't need a license for fertilizer only, but check with your state ag. dept.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

In Michigan, the certifications are for pestide only. (The licensing is a different story). For just fert., no certification and/or licensing is required in Michigan.
  4. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

how would you get licensed to do fertilizing tried looking on mich.gov but can really find anything about it.
  5. crash935

crash935 LawnSite Member

josh, heres the dept of ags web site

You can call downtown to their regional office, i think Jennifer would be the agent for your area. You should get certified in catagories 3A (turfgrass), 3B (ornimentals), and 6 (right of way). You might have a problem with a license for the business, you need to have so many years of verifiable experience for the a business license but you should at least get yourself certified.
  6. GElawn

GElawn LawnSite Member

I see your in my neck of the woods. I'm a part-time on my own, but work for a large factory in zeeland were we only fertilize 3 times a year, but mulch the entire grounds almost twice a week.
    We have a licensed fert. guy on staff, for just in case we have a break out.
    We keep it thick to choke out the weeds.
    Mulching the turf, using less chemicals!
  7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Like Joe said, no license is required, needed, or available. There were rumblings of a change in the law at the end of the year, but I haven't heard anything lately.