1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizing if Florida

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grits, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Does one need a license to apply ONLY fertilizer to turf in Florida?
  2. Grits

from Florida

I just did a quick search and found that you DO NOT need a license in Florida for straight fertilizer. Does anyone have any info stating otherwise?
  3. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I contacted the Florida dept. of Agriculture. Thay gave me the same info. You do not need a license. That is for granular fertilier.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

just keep in mind that you cannot apply fert with pre-em, herbicide or insect control mixed into it for profit....even if you buy over the counter from home depot.....Doesn't seem right or fair....but thats the law...
  5. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Who did you talk to, I have been told that you do.
  6. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Marc and EMJ are correct but you can double check with the dude who will try and bust you if you want. I sent you a PM with the contact info for the Dept of Ag inspector for our area.
  7. Grits

from Florida

Hey Tom. That's the same guy that stopped and talked to me that one time. I gave him a call this morning, but his wife answered and said his dad had a stroke last night, so he is a little busy. Thanks for that contact info!!

Thanks everyone.
  8. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

Keep us up to date with the Info .A friend of mine was stoped for having a spreder on the truck.(marion county) He was told he could use granulated fert. only and only on residentail yards .If he wanted to use it on commercial prop he needed to be licenced and have the licences # on the truck.
  9. PascoPropMaint

PascoPropMaint LawnSite Member

I don't see anything on the Dept. of Ag site about fertilizer licenses - other than fertilizer manufacturers. If you can only do residential, then what license do you get for commercial?

And what about the license for turf pesticides? Everything I see relates to being a pesticide business where applying pesticides is your "primary occupation". Maybe someone has some good links to these licenses/rules..
  10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Google Florida statute 482

It will tell you what you need to know. And basically, you can't apply to turf! Other than plain fertilizer. No ifs, whats, or buts, you cannot do it legally. You have to either have a 4 year in horticulture and a year working for a pest company or 24 credit hours and 3 years working for a pest company before you can put down a weed/feed or insecticide.

Look at that statute and see where it takes you from there. I was shocked to see how strict it is but I do understand and agree that it is a necessary precaution since there are so many ways to ruin the floridan aquifer and the many lakes/rivers and estuaries here along with anyone near the ocean that puts down fert and feeds the seaweed....