Fertilizing in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dobbs, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dobbs

dobbs LawnSite Member

I've decided to save a few hundred dollars this year by not having ChemLawn treat the lawn. I'm going to do it myself this year. I already have the spreader. So, all I need is a bit of advise. Is now the right time for the 1st application? What would you recommend for a fert/weed control ratio? What superstore/homestore brands are good? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Dave
    Here is what I do:

-Put down a preemergent now.(double check with your local extension to see if it is too late to be effective)

-End of May fertilze. Use a weed control if needed.Slow release N,and about 1lb /1000ft2.

-End of July fertilze with slow release N at a rate of about .75lbs /1000ft2

-September: Aerate,overseed(early September) and apply N at 1lb / 1000ft2 with quick/slow release N.

-After your last grass cutting(while grass is still green, sometime in early November) fertilize at 1lb /1000ft2 with a FAST release N.
    This is the most important application!! ,because the N gets stored in the root system and helps to develop a very healthy turf for the next year.

Check with your local extension or co-op for the exact dates in your area, these should be fairly close though.

I use different "brands"for the different stages, most of them contain the same types of N, but their "delivery" systems could be different. Just do a little research on fertilizers and you will see what I mean. Remember the first number of the contents is the % amount of N in regards to the weight of the particiular bag it is in, so learn how to calculate what you need(websites are out there to explain how to do this, if you have trouble finding one let me know and I will post the info) and you could save yourself some money when shopping.