Fertilizing, Liming and Seeding in same visit

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HydroRI, Sep 4, 2006.

1. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

Is there any special precautions that must be taken when doing fall overseeding when a soil test calls for 50 lbs of lime per K. Would there be any adverse effects with any products when they are applied at the same time (seed, Starter Fert, Lime)? I thought I once heard that you should not lime 2 weeks before or after fertilizing. Will this amount of lime have any negative effect on seed? This application will be in conjunction with core aeration and slit seeding.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do the lime and wait at least a week before proceeding, lots of water during the week.

3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

We do everything in the same visit. Its late but I belive the ime can effect the uptahe of Phos. That is not a concern here with the soils over abundabce of it. We don't use Phos in our ferts either. By doing it all at once, it can result in a very profitable stop for you also.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Hydro, my soil test usually call for 94+lbs of lime perM. Just remember how much of the soil you are actually treating. With a surface application of lime you are only treating the top layer of the soil. The soil test recommendations are based on incorporating a 6in, and sometimes greater, slice of the soil. Your soil test recommendations should be reduced to compensate for the amount of the soil you are actually treating. With a surface application, in a heavy clay soil, you probably are not treating more than 2 or three inches at best. In sandier soil you can figure 3 or 4 inches. Reduce the soil test recommendations by 15% for every inch you are not treating. For a 3 inch treatment you would figure 45%-50% of the actual soil test recommendation. If I was liming an already established grass, I wouldnt hesitate to put the full soil test recommendation up to 50lb perM, but on new seeding, you will probably have better results if you lower the rate to the 15% per inch. If you reduce the rates, you shouldnt have any problems with P tieup, but you "might" have tieup if you dont reduce the lime rates. 0/46/0 P ties up as fast as, or faster than, any other form of P you could apply. 18/46/0 DAP and 11/52/0 MAP stays available the longest.

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Have at it. I would lime, seed, and starter fertilizer all the time with great results. I have found that applying lime at seeding gives me better results. As far as your soil test recomendations, I don't like applying more than 50lbs/k at once. I have been told the rule is 100lbs/k, but this is my preferance. Do split apps of 5olbs/ now and again in the spring.