1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizing New Sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pulpit46227, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

What's the general rule of thumb on this?

How longer after it has been laid, what application, etc?
  2. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I've seen where some people fertilize the ground before laying the sod.. I would be careful doing this though it's been known to burn .. I've also worked for company's that throw the fertto it right after it is laid .. I personally wait about a week by doin so it helps prevent shock...c
  3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Our specifications require contractor to add amendments, including fertilizer, to soil before installing sod. This has always worked well for us.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have always found liquid fert foliar applied to be the best for new installs. I like a high P & K for root development. I try and stay away from over application, so I don't burn the new turf.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. WATCH yuo NITROGEN! Especially with this heat. Go as low as you can, and not at full rate. Actually, if you went with a straight sulphate of potash right now, it wouldn't hurt you, but it would be nice to find a combo with a lower N and a higher K.
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you really want to know the right answer.....do a soil test before installing the sod.

Then you will know exactly what to apply.
  7. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Wait until the sod has become established before you start making your fert/weed control applications.
  8. pkresovich

pkresovich LawnSite Member
    from D.C.

Try some Milorganite 6-2-0, it is an organic fert with very low burn potential.
    That is what we did when I worked at Camden Yards and it worked for us.
  9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I go back to the soil test thing again because it is important.

If you test and find low Phosphorous, then it would be necessary to apply MAP/DAP at the time of installation. Prior would be even better. If your Phosphorous levels are good, then you can wait and apply Nitrogen after the sod has rooted.

If a soil test cannot be done, the best option is just to apply a starter fert (18-24-12) either prior to or at the time of installation. At 1 lb N/M, burn is not a concern.
  10. yes, do a soil test!

Whenever buying sod, you need to ask the grower the last time he fert, what he used, what rate/m, what % controlled slow release n.

When you fert will depend on info from grower, soil test, what nutrients applied in preping the soil, and your particular micro climate