Fertilizing Newly Over-seeded Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dan82775, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going with weed control, then you are NOT going to get any new seedlings... with ammonia, it seems that your N is gassing off because that is what you smell...

does regular ammonia under the kitchen sink actually provide N to the plants???

2. dan82775

dan82775 LawnSite Member

I've been told it does. I better just let these new seedlings grow and add the organic Orion for green up and wait another month if temps are cool enough and then add weed control.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts fertilizer would be fine. Probably has less burn potential compared to low-cost fertilizers. Follow directions carefully. Water it in to be on the safe side. OK for new seed. Iron on top of it could be beneficial--if--your soil needs iron.

Axe is right. Do not use weed control on new seed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. dan82775

dan82775 LawnSite Member

Thanks, at what point do you guys think its safe to use a WEED and feed on newly seeded grass.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Weed and feed can usually be used after the second mowing of the new grass. Say at about 6 weeks. But it depends on the species of new grass--Kentucky bluegrass is much slower than rye.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Nitrogen makes grow faster Iron helps the color but doesn't really make the grass grow like N does

7. dan82775

dan82775 LawnSite Member

whats the best source of Nitrogen that I can apply and will take effect the quickest

8. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Get a soil test, that way you know for sure what you need to add or fix.