Fertilizing Pricing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by aclawncare, Feb 11, 2006.

1. aclawncare

aclawncare LawnSite Member
    from Stow,OH

Hey everyone i am looking for a little help.How do you guys normally price for labor to apply granular fertilizer Let me know any help is appreciated Thanks,adam

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Fertilizer has fluctuable prices so just mark up your cost. Application can be done quite quickly. We mark up an $80 bag to $110.

3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of fert is $80 a bag?

4. fredski119

fredski119 LawnSite Member

Thats a real big bag you got there. I myself double my price if it cost me $40.00 Ill charge $80.00:cool2:

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto. Sometimes even 2 1/2 times the cost.

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a SEARCH feature on this site? Just scroll down a couple of topics or even pages. My God, this same question is posted every day. Its maddening!

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

So for those charging 2 - 2 1/2 times the price of the fert is that your entire fee?

I am going to be charging a site visit fee of $35 and then marking up the price of fert by 25%(hypothetically a $40 bag) so for one visit I will charge $35 plus $50 for the bag of fert. for a total of $85. Where you guys would be charging $80-$100 for the bag.

Dont be afraid to charge with a setup fee like this because what if you are selling someone a $10 bag of fert? Charge them $25, thats not nearly enough to justify your time, unless you are putting down 50 bags of fert. The site fee is basically to cover your time to pick up the fert load it, get to their house. Obviously you will be more profitable the more houses close by you have as some of that setup time is shared between customers. But treat it as if you are only going to there house. Let the marketting of getting customers close by as a way to increase your profits.

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I was just formulating this all together and then my 10 minutes expired so i couldnt edit. Our site fee will be $50 plus 25% markup not the $35

9. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

What you need to do is devise a rate card for yourself. Figure out how much profit you want to make. You'll go crazy trying to figure out your cost on every job for every customer every day. I start with $30 and my card goes up $1 for each 500 sq ft. - works for me. Sometimes on the larger yards I'm a little more pricier than some competetors - but hey - they pay!

10. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

$50 plus your price for fertilizer that you mark up 25%? what size lawns are you doing? I dont think you would get one lawn here, I start at about $31 for a 5000 sq ft lawn here, that is my stopping fee plus the fertilizer. Obviously if there is a Pre-M in it or a grub control it is more.