fertilizing pricing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JTS lawn care, Mar 16, 2003.

1. JTS lawn care

JTS lawn care LawnSite Member

i was wondering what to charge for putting down fertilizer.
  2. tramahor

tramahor LawnSite Member

3. Derric S V L

Derric S V L LawnSite Member
    from Pa

how much fert. how big of the area
  4. If you don't know then you shouldn't be doing it, or running your own biz.

Seems like a harsh statement to harsh reality, but it's all so true to ask such a vague question.

How much to charge to build a house?

There's the same question, how can anyone answer this question for you?

Lets put a little thought into this question.

I am going to apply fert, the cost of the fert will be $10 for a 50# bag, the bag covers 12,500 sq/ft.

How much should I charge?

Now we still can't answer that question due to different locations and overheads, but we can advise on what we are charging to apply product to a lawn.

I go by product per 1000 sq/ft times 5= my price per 1000 sq/ft that I charge. I also have a minimum of $36, so that's good up till I hit about 9,000 sq/ft.

So how did I do in helping you?
  5. plowboy81

plowboy81 LawnSite Member

I understand your question. Sometimes you have to spell out every little detail to some people so their brain don't overload and blow a fuse. I just pretty much double the cost of the fertilizer. For instance, I get 10.00 per bag spread. I buy it for 4.25 and the other 5.75 is profit. Not a killing, but I can put out 10 bags in 20 minutes. 10 bags x 5.75 = 57.50 in 20 minutes. Works for me hope it does for you. If you buy really expensive stuff, then you won't be able to double it. I figure around 5 to 7 dollars a bag to spread. If you put out lime, then your profit and business doubles. Good luck.
  6. DOUBLE the price?????????????????

That's it? and 10 bags in 20 min?

I suggest you don't guestimate and write the time down from start to finish. It takes longer than 20 min to apply 10-50# bags of fert. Even on wide open going with a viacon pendulum spreader caring 600# of fert still takes about an hour.
  7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, the birth of a possible scrub!

Do your homework on material prices, hourly costs, equipment costs, insurance costs, profit margins, mark ups. Then develop your own pricing structure.:blob4:
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Dont know what your spread rate is but with my drop spreader I can put down a ton per hour. Yesterday 700lbs of lime and 200 lbs of granular fert and areate= 1 1/2 hours. Lime 50lb per thous. Fert. 25 lbs per thous. areate 14000 sqft. Part of a hay field.
  9. I don't use a drop spreader.

I do about 3m per a min.

If I am applying 3# per 1m then I am doing 9# per a min.

9 x 20 = 180#

1 hour that would be 540#

25# of fert per 1000? eh, what the heck are you using?

Lets get back to "real" world situation, not a hay feild that just got slammed with fert.
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

25#m using 10/20/20 is 2.5 lbs nitrogen per 1000sqft., More than you would put on your lawn I agree but good enough for a hay field. I believe even at 1lb per m nitrogen I can put it out faster than 1 hour as you are suggesting. Maybe the drop spreader is able to drop more than your machine can I dont know.