Fertilizing Program

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SuperSod, Nov 20, 2003.

1. SuperSod

SuperSod LawnSite Member

We are about to chnage our Fert Program from 6 applications to 7 application the 7th being Lyme treatment. 5 of the 7 applications will include Pre-emergents.

What fert program works best for you and what it is included in each one of them?

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about this, but shouldn't you only add lyme if the ph of the soil demands it? I wouldn't think using it on the fly for every lawn would be a good idea, but I could be very wrong here. Please, correct me if I am wrong, as I would like to learn as well.
    I have not used lyme as of yet, but am always ready to learn in case I do get into it someday. :confused:

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the same question/concern as Twins. Is it a matter of the general condition of the soil in your area, or why would you decide to make it part of your package?

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to buy a 200 dollar pH tester and offer a "free soil pH test" with every program. it looks like somethinge extra that people will like and it will allow me to legitimatly sell lime to most of my customers (since we have acid soil mostly)
    get the right tester, its like a spike that you jab into moistend soil. the cheap ones often dont work and i wouldnt use professionally.

5. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

First...Are you licensed in your state to apply impregnated fertilizer to lawns? Most state require this since you will be applying a herbicide/insecticide 5 of the applications.

Take a soil test to figure out what fertilizer program is best for the lawns you treat. A test will also tell you whether or not the soil needs lime. I use a KElway soil ph meter.

6. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I'm not worried about you putting down lime every year as much as I am about pre emergent 5 times per year. You will have no roots left on the grass. I could be wrong for your area but I only apply pre emergent once per year in the early spring.

7. SuperSod

SuperSod LawnSite Member

How is it that I will no have no roots left? The guys at Lesco never mentioned something like that!

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of 5 apps of pre-m. I do split apps in the spring at half rate. But 5. Dont think you will have to worry about a contract with them the next year.

9. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

I never thoght of 5 apps maybe that would cut down on the mowing??. If your not sure what you need to be doing let Lesco prep a plan for you. After a few years you will have a good idea of how and when you need to fertilize.

10. ryan cooper

ryan cooper LawnSite Member

adding lime would only be applied once a year,if the soil is akline that means the ph is to high,although grass prefer sweet soil not acidic soil,thus will hamper the availability of nutrients.....ps ....do not mix nitrgen with lime the lime will nuatralize it.thus making it useless ph={potential hydrogen}