Fertilizing Programs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmk395, Mar 2, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Can someone from MA, RI or Conn. send me there fertilizer program? I am just starting and want to make sure I am on the right path.

2. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

I noticed that you didn't get any response. Are still in need of help? I think you should develop your own program. You may already know what to do. You may get many different ways of doing programs from this site. Your in Ma. look up the lawn company, and see what they do.

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi dmk,
    I have customers in MA, so I'm familiar with the local agronomic needs. I work from southern CT. What are your program goals? One crab or two? Will you include Grub Control or offer it as an option?
    Are the clients lawns upscale & irrigated?
    A typicak program would look like this, but is subject to change based on individual needs.

R1) Fert+Crab Pre .75#/N
    R2) Fert+Crab Pre & Liq BWC .75#/N
    R3) Fert+Merit for grub customers .75#/N 2 bills
    R4) Fert+Talstar for surface insects.75#/N
    R5) Fert 1.0-1.5#/N

Like I said, there's a lot of wiggle room. Let me know what you think & I can get a bit more specific.

Steve

4. dmk395

from Ma

Thanks guys, I actually just got back from Lesco and they helped out a ton. Will post my results later, have to get the setup from my truck.

5. Mr. Snake Oil,

In another thread you stated the following:

"The LCO that did it that year was heard bragging at one of our stores that he applied straight fert all 4 times at never more than .75lbs/N. The town got pretty discouraged by the lack of performance of their parks & municipal building lawns & no longer has them treated. By anyone."

Now in this thread you recommend applying at a .75 lb. rate and in the above thread that you previously wrote you state at .75 / lb. there is a lack of performance at this rate.

What's up with this contradiction in statements?

6. dmk395

from Ma

Here is my plan.
    19-3-7 pre m .75n
    21-0-12 wf 1n
    24-5-11 w/merit 1n
    28-5-12 1n
    7-1-3 w/lime .25n

Sounds good to me, but I am a greenhorn here.

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Stone,
    Check yor math. I recommended 4-4.5 lbs/N.
    I think you omitted the 5th app @ 1-1.5 lbs/N. The parks that I referred to were bid at spec.
    Rate of N is directly tied to %slow release & frequency of application. I have customers that spoonfeed liquid soluble N @ 1/8 - 1/4 #N at 2 week intervals. I've also got clients who apply our new NOVEX in May at 4 lbs/N/M and then do a normal dormant fert in November at @ 1lb/N to save on labor.

The thief who took that municipal job from us omitted the pre-emerge, the dursban, & all the weed control. All he applied was a total of not more than 3 lbs N all year & that was it. Maybe not even that much, who knows? Apparentley, this was how he intended to make a profit. Like a thief.

For the record. We applied, in order, .75#N, .5#/N, 1#N, & 1.25#N. The rates for fert weren't spec'ed, but we used 3.5lbs/N on the nonirrigated parks. Were it up to me, I would have used .75#N in the second round, but it wasn't my decision to make. The lables from the year prior were submitted in the prebid package & consistent with our bid. Comps were accepted as long as the major points were the same. We gave a free supplemental fert app in the summer to the government center since it was irrigated & was getting "hungry". If memory serves, it was just shy of an acre & we hit it with .5-.75#N. We did this on our own to make a favorable impression. So our seasonal total there was 4.25lbs on N with all the other (required) elements done correctly & on time. The parks are nonirrigated & go dormant during most summers here anyway. All the turf looked good that year with uniform color, height, & density, & no weeds.

I would guess that either the purchasing agent or some "other approved official" was either not checking that the work was being performed to spec, or someone was taking kickbacks. The turf at the government center was very weedy, but the guy did keep it green. The parks were a disaster compared to when we did it. The guy even striped the 2 biggest fields.LOL

I suppose that if one of us had lived in that town, we could have "politiced" our way back into their graces. But I left the company to do what I'm doing now & maybe no one else cared enough to follow up on it.

A good purchasing angent would work with the Parks Dept supervisor to make sure the product that was being applied was the same as the lables that were approved. For at least the first year with a new contractor, this should be mandatory. The taxpayers & the turf all got robbed. So were all the honest contractors who bid the job the way it was specified.
    Steve