fertilizing question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToddS, Dec 15, 2003.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

I keep reading about needing a license to do this. Do you need a license to do general fertilization such as the Scotts type program, etc? I know the general homeowner does it on their own lawn and this does not require to have a license. I am thinking about getting into this, but don't have a license. I was only thinking of doing the general fertilizing for those homeowner that don't want to, or are too lazy to do it themselves.

Todd S

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Gopher, but I could not get the websites that you provided up. Anyone know any information on this subject? I am basically talking about fertilization that you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot and not pesticides. Thanks

ToddS

4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

You typically (varies from state to state, but most are the same) need a license to apply any fertilizer w/post or pre-emergents in it. If your using it to profit from and trying to control something ie: weeds insects. Good luck-I'm in the process of learning the manuals for the 100 question test.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Precisioncut is right on the money... In the state we're from you need to be licensed in order to apply Scott's fertilizer from Home Depot if it has a pre or post-emergent and your using it on any lawn besides your own. Which means:

Scott's is a five step program.
    Step 1: fertilizer with Crabgrass preventer = License required
    Step 2: fertilizer with Weed control = License required
    Step 3: fertilizer with Insect control = License required
    Step 4: fertilizer only = License NOT required
    Step 5: fertilizer only = License NOT required

6. eakern

eakern LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

ToddS,

Try this Link.This has the testing schedule for Georgia and the forms to fill out for the study material. You need to order the General Standards Study Guide ( $15.00) and the Ornanmental/Turf Guide( $15.00). This is the deal in Georgia..........you need a Commercial Applicators License in order to put any kind of chemical on a lawn in which you recieve payment . This includes maintence . You get this license by studying the material and passing the test. Once you pass, you need to get a Contractors License as well( about $15). It takes about a week or so to get the material once you print and mail the form with money. There appears to be alot of folks here in Georgia that do not have a license. but the fines can heavy if you get caught. Also, there is alot of valuable information to be learned in the study manual.

http://www.ces.uga.edu/Agriculture/Pesticideapplicator/schedule.html