fertilizing rye grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EagleLandscape, Dec 2, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

ok guys, give me the scoop on doing it at this time of year in dallas, texas.

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

If your over seeding warm season grass, It should have been fertilized at the same time you seed. Ive learned you get much better results.
    If you need to fert for color, use something with iron in it. I know some of my rye grass lawns just dont have a good color, and Im going to hit them with Super Iron. Im not sure of the #s off the top of my head, Im sure someone knows.

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There really is no need to fert rye if your having problems with germination it is because of installation problems or lack of water not fert. I think fert for rye would do more harm than good.

4. jwingkfield2k,

get better responce and information with some more input from you!

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive used milorganite on rye with good results and not to much growth

6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Here we use a starter when seeding.
    The first couple weeks in Dec. we use Iron on lawns without irrigation.
    But the ones that can be watered in we use ammonium sulfate. Man talk about green up and healthy grass. The only drawback would be eccesive growth but as cold as its gotten now that wont be a problem.

7. kerryb

what does ammonia sulfate do to the soil ph, lower it!!!!!!!!!

8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in LA and my Rye (Playmate mix) isn't doing well either. I'm not sure if it is due to the season staying warmer longer, or if it is because my seed is 3 years old (on my own property - I wouldn't put old seed down for a customer). BTW, how many years should Rye stay fertile???

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rye seed should be good for 3 to 5 years however % of germination will be lower each year.

Key here is storage. Cool dry storage in Louisiana is in fact next to impossible without Air conditioning.

For erosion control where color is not important FEED OATS will give about 60 to 65% germination and cost about 1/5 the price of SEED OATS. They also make a nice grazing area under you tree stand. :D

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I presume you are overseeding in the Dallas area?
    Typically, when overseeding Bermudagrass with the Ryegrass, use approximately 8 to 10 pounds/1Kft.
    If you have pulled a soil test prior to overseeding, follow the recommendations.
    If not, initial fertilization at time of seeding should be with a starter fertilizer. Subsequent fertilizations greatlty depend upon use/conditions of the site. However, .5 to .75lbs of amonium sulphate 21-0-0 per 5-6 weeks should be okay. Ideally, you want to fertilize in accordance with the recommendations of the soil test for maintenance, not establishment.