Fertilizing schedule

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ACutAbovesiny, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I have to start by saying how incredible this site is. Since I found it I can't get off of it. So much valuable info.

Anyway, I'm starting to look into a fertilizing schedule for next year. I've discussed it with my partner and we came up with something that I'm not 100% with but I'll try it out if noone has any suggestions.

I do my clean-up the second week of march and add a starter fert then another application the end of April (6 weeks apart). Third application in June, fourth in August, and fifth in October. I finish with a sixth application with my fall clean-up.

What do you guys think of this schedule?

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

It will work if you use the right products at the right time. Hint #1: starter fert is for new seedings, thus high in P, so forget that. You want to start with a Preemergent for crabgrass. That is hint #2.

3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Not if he dosen't have a license and is only applying fert.
    Good schedule, may want to switch out aug for lime or fert w/calcium.

4. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

try to do it every six 6 weeks thats how my company does theirs which it me lol i'm the only sprayer for my company.... we do 3 weed controls and 4 ferts...and the weed controls starts in late feb for us and six weeks after then we start our fert and our final weed control is late sept..

5. ACutAbovesiny

To prolawn...how come switch to lime or fert w/calcium in aug. How would that benefit? Thanks for the respose.

6. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Grass needs calcium that time of year especially if the soil is deficient, it will give you some nice greening without stressing it to push alot of top growth.:)

7. ACutAbovesiny

Thanks alot...ill take that into consideration.