fertilizing shady lawns depress me ,and make cme wonting to go back to cutting grass.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 14, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

some lawns that i fertilize have shady back lawns.
    when i first picked them up as a cust.there shady area was green and somewhat full, but over the years and some time months the turf declines big time. in the shady areas i cut the rate of n almost in half. could i be still over doind it. i been useing lesco fert.
    anthony

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

As much as I really hate to ask this question, have you taken a lab soil test?

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass is a sun-loving plant.

Trees get bigger year after year. Soil gets more compacted. Shady lawns do not have the energy to process the salts contained in your (our) Lesco fertilizers.

Take Kirby's advise, pull a plug, get it tested and then sell an aeration and lime application.

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of grass is it? and like Kirby said GET A SOIL TEST! Good shot at selling an overseeding.

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

And don't forget to sell the overseeding (with good shade tolerant seed) to fill in those sections. Also, if you know any good tree companies in your area, hook up with them to prune the trees to allow more sunlight to filter through. Tell your customers that's what's needed, help them find a contractor to do it, then get a cut from the tree company or a promise for future referals from them. A little more sunlight coming through the canopy can make a big difference.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I aggree with everyone's solution to your problem,. But 1 more thing to add, those trees will suck the water bigtime. We have sections near trees where we water more often because it dries up in just a few hrs and your grass get's stressed from lack of h2o. Grass is much thicker this year, just from watering more often. We tried deep watering and it doesn't work in this case, except the trees love it.

7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for all the replys, most of the lawns got soil test (composit of whole lawn shady and sunny) and the results are normal. but what is depressing is when i go on lawns that chem lawn ,lawn dr. take care of ,they are some what better shape. and i get to the point to were i feel i am the problem.
    anthony

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Anthony, i was feeling good this morning until I read your post. Now i am feeling depressed. Thanks alot

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

One of the premier builders in out area(builds a very nice house for $500K+) goes the whole 9 yards and installs sod on all new homes. The problem is that he uses a straight bluegrass sod, and there are often shady areas. Over the years the bluegrass will deteriorate. The trees get bigger, and the grass gets thinner. The average homeowner has no clue about different types of grass, and puts the blame on the maintenance contractors. Their position is that it looked good for a while, and then under your care it is now thin. They don't realize that the premium lawn they paid for was not the correct one.

WHat I have done on some of these full service accounts is to overseed after their annual aeration. I simly will broadcast some seed in the shady areas. I will usually use a perreinal rye mix, or some of the fine fescues if it is really shady. I know that this is not the most effiecent method of introducing new types of grass in an area, but it is better than nothing.

10. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

2 minutes of customer education eliminates 85% of your problems.